Previously Cat Was Starved.

KatKeeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a camper in a rural wooded area. One day I found a young cat outside under a tarp draped over lumber. I almost sprayed bug spray in the cats face but hadn't press spray yet.
The cat was showing his 3rd eyelid. He meowed at me but was barely able to walk. It made me feel sick. This young cat had not eaten in a long time. I immediately got him food and water. For the next month I fed him 5-8 times per day. He slowly gained weight.
My problem was when I took him to the vet for shots. The vet thought he was a year old. This came as a shock because his length when I found him was that of a kitten, not an adult. Is there a way to tell a cats age? Would the starving effect this? I don't know where he came from but I can't understand why anyone would starve the cat, then dump it.
I didn't even want to take a photo of him then because I didn't want to remember the terrible way he looked. Thanks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had him? Do you have a picture now? Do you think he is older or younger?

Vets arenar foolproof and an age estimate is just an estimate. Some cats can look older or younger because of malnutrition. My girl looked several month younger for a good two years because of malnutrition when she was a kitten. She came from a feral colony and the caretaker pointed her out when she was only 3-4 weeks old (that wobbly starting to walk stage). So I have a pretty good feel for her age and the vet called her two months younger because teeth were growing slower.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know of several vets who use teeth as a gauge, but I think it is primarily based on whether or not all the baby teeth have been replaced by adult teeth and what kind of shape teeth and gums are in.

I know with Feeby, two different vets estimated her age at 2 because she had all of her adult teeth. However, the two vets that saw her were 6 months apart. So, all I know is that she is now 14+!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing at some point he had a hard time finding water and like to know it was right there where he could get it.

He's a pretty kitty. Glad you found him. Rescues bond tight to their people. They know you saved them and they don't forget.