Previous Owner Abused My Cat

ares988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have had a cat before, but not since he passed away last year. Earlier this week I decided to adopt one and I contacted someone who had posted about re-homing their cat on Craigslist. It did not strike me as strange at the time, but I never got a name, number, or real email address. They met me at a store parking lot and gave me the cat. I did not really look him over until I got him home an hour later.

He made no noise at all on the ride home. When I got him home, he immediately went into hiding and did not come out. His food, water, and litter box were placed apart and near safe places he could hide near. The next morning everything remained untouched and he was still hiding somewhere; I decided it was best to let him come out when he was ready so I did not go looking for him, but I never heard him either. After more than 48hrs went by and everything remained untouched, I got worried. I finally found him hiding under a bed and it took some time to get him out and on the way to the Vet.

I noticed someone had trimmed his whiskers incredibly short, and the Vet had to give him nutrition and fluids. He had no physical signs of abuse (bruises, broken bones, damaged teeth etc.) but he seems to have suffered intense emotional abuse at the very least. I replace his water twice a day, check to clean his litter box twice a day, and replace his food once a day even if it is untouched. I've set out treats for him near where he likes to hide, but it all remains unused. He did use the litter box during the night after the Vet trip, but not after. I called the Vet and he told me to start feeding and watering him by hand once a day if he did not eat or drink by the following morning and to bring him in early next week if nothing improves.

He has ample comfortable hiding spots with easy access to all he needs and ways to get to them concealed if he so chooses. His room is quiet and has plenty of windows I open in case he wants to look out. He still seems to remain terrified and in hiding.

Would anyone have any idea of what may have happened to him? What else can I do to help him physically and emotionally? I really feel bad for him and want to keep him, but I wonder if I should not place him in professional care.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How horrible. If you haven't done it already, try spending time with him by sitting on the ground or lying on the ground and speaking soothingly to him or reading in a happy, low tone to him. Then, leave the room and then visit again later on until he grows comfortable with you and sees you won't hurt him. I may be way off base, but it might be helpful also to "present" him with a small, new toy when you visit by slowly placing it near him so he can see & understand it's for him. Maybe do this with treats too. This worked with my rescue cat. She would slow blink at me when I put toys & treats for her while she was hiding in a box from me. Later, she played with them at night in her safe room before hiding again in her box during the day until she came out of hiding.

Edit: Just a couple things you can try if you want to keep him and try to help him. I'm sure some experts will be along shortly to post good advice. If you can't keep him and can't rehome him, please give him to a good rescue shelter like the one I got my baby from. They're no kill and they take injured or abused pets and care for them before trying to rehome them through adoption.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ares988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I really do not want to have to give him up unless that is what he needs to get better. I've not tried reading to him,  but I sure will!

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can try some wet food to entice him to eat (if he doesn't get that already).

I'm happy you have him now and he's in good hands :)

natasha m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we moved to a new house, our cat was so stressed, that she was hiding in the basement for several days. She was hiding so well, we were even worried, that she somehow escaped. She would not escape, though because even more terrified, she is to be outside. She is scared to be outside. But the cat was nowere to be seen, and we eventually saw, that she was using litter box - the only evidence. We put water out for her and dry food in the kitchen . Finally , she came out to each, but then went hiding again. It took a couple of week for the cat to get used to the new house. She is fine now.

natasha m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, what I am trying to say: Just leave him alone and give him time. The cat just need time to get used to the new place and yourself. Just let him be. Give water and food and litter box. The cat will change soon. I am pretty sure that whiskeys will eventually grow back, but I may take some time. Cat may feel disoriented without whiskers, especially in a totally new place. May be he is just a bit shy cat. He will still come to you, he just needs more time. Some cats are like that, but those may be even more attention demanding in the future than the cats who are not shy. I have one cat, not scared of anything. She likes to drive in a car with us. She likes to go to the vet. But she more of a cat-cat, not a person-cat. She does not care much about people. 

stephakneexo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a cat last year. He hid under the bed for 7 hours and wouldn't come out. He continued hiding for weeks. He eventually came closer to us. it's been a year and he's doing much better. :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing, he does sound extremely scared. I think what you're doing so far is the right thing... letting him be on his own mostly, but keeping an eye on him and taking him to the vet when he goes too long without basic biological functions. Bonitababy has some excellent advice. Give him space, but don't be totally hands off with him. He's going to need a lot of reassurance and encouragement before he'll trust you (or anyone). 

Have you tried plugging in Feliway in the room? These help calm some cats. You can also put on a radio with soft classical music in the room when you're not there. Also another calming effect on most cats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He sounds a lot like my Henry but without the whisker trimming. Henry is a permanent foster from a local shelter. He's 8 and was in the shelter since he was 4 months old. Henry's issue has nothing to do with abuse. He simply wasn't socialized at all. If the vet didn't find any signs of abuse on your cat, this might be same thing. Henry's been with me since mid January and is still in his safe room. He has come a long way but still has a long way to go. He went from allowing petting but being very wary of it to enjoying it. He, too, did not eat at first. I went to several stores to try to find foods he'd eat. I bought plain meat baby foods, canned kitten food, low sodium tuna packed in water and no sodium added sardines. The sardines won. He loved those. Now he has a very good appetite and he's loving having 2 big litter boxes to himself. He was in a fairly small room with at least a dozen other cats and they all shared about 6 big litter boxes that were full to capacity the day I met him.

These people more than likely didn't pay attention to this cat. What it will take from you is lots of time, patience and love. You can bring this cat around. Just hang in there. Talk to him, read to him (I bought a bunch of children's books at a Goodwill for less than $5). When you want to interact with him, try to be as close to his eye level as possible. I usually lay on the floor near Henry. It makes you seem less intimidating. He WILL get better. You have to think positive. Sending vibes out to you.
Cats like ours are often some of the toughest to get through to but it's like anything in life. The harder you have to work to get it, the more valuable it is. He's lucky to have you.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Ares988

My take on this is that he was neglected for sure, and likely had some young kids who thought it would be cute to trim his whiskers off too, but his behavior mostly points to lack of interactions with people in general. A once feral born kitty will come around in time to one person or family, but change that and they go right back to acting like a feral, never able to lose that streak inbedded in them at a young age.

It usually take 3 full days of not eating, then suddenly they decide it's eat or starve to sickness, and cats will not do that, so he will eat very soon.

The key is, giving him time to take in the new smells, sights and sounds, and then to you, getting him acquainted with you, that you are another safe person who is no threat to him at all, spend as much time with him as you can, take your laptop in the room, or reading is good, or just singing, talking, anything.

Use a non threatening soft voice with him, move fairly slower around him so he isn't startled, lay on the floor every time and eventually he will come out and check you out, but don't try to pet him at all, just let him come at his own pace.

He has high anxieties now, but he WILL adapt in time. Take it slow and sweet, and soon enough you will gain his trust and friendship.

Often times people who have not been around a very shy or former feral cat think it looks like abuse, I understand. But it's not abuse, neglect, yes, but an abused cat is not common since they eventually will run away or fight back and then show body injuries too.

If it's fight or flight, believe me, a cat WILL get mean fast if they can't run away. Cats are survivors all the way, and with the teeth and claws abusing a cat is not seen very often. Really.

So glad he has you though :)

natasha m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one of my cat was a stray, that we caught in my back porch eating dry food that I accidentally left .

she first was totally wild and scared. she was hissing. We locked her in the back porch. and provided water, toilet and food. we essentially ignored her. She was eating, though, but totally hissing and wiled. We went out to back porch to smoke and just avoided looking at him in the eyes. looking in the eye is a threat for cats. She eventually became a very snugly cat. She goes after me everywhere now, as I work in the back yard.