Prevention of fleas??

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I want to know if there is a cheap but effective way to help prevent fleas on feral cats? I am a care person for 23 ferals, there was 5 more but they were adopted. Praises. I know that the bug season is coming and would like to do something, just not sure if I can. If you can help me please post a solution.
Thanks, Ruth

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you touch them all enough to apply a topical? There are many on here with a lot of cats or colonies that they care for that will get the Advantage for large dogs and dose it down by weight per cat. You need to have a vet work with you on this, they can easily give you the doses per ~weight. You can also try contacting feral cat groups and asking them.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on your situation, there are three options:

First: If you can apply a topical on each of them do so. The advantages are many; disadvantages are you have to do it every month and some cats might be allergic to the ingrediants.

Two: Capstar - a powder you sprinkle on their food. Usually best sprinkled on wet but OK on dry, too. Advantages are - its easy; disadvantages - you don't know how much they'll get and if they'll all get it.

Three: Diatomaceaous earth. It is actually tiny fossilized sea critters that rip the fleas open (I just love that visual!). Buy food grade and sprinkle on their food and bedding.

You can buy Capstar and diatomaceous earth online. Good luck!

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about apple cider vinegar???

I was putting it in their food and water (most didnt like it though - so I went back to using DE). But its easier to spray ON them than sprinkling DE -of course being careful around their heads.

Not only do i put DE in their food - I occasionally make a circle around the food so that when they are eating they will step in it and then (hopefully) scratch themselves with the DE (thats my hope of course - probably wont know if that actually works).

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a post somewhere about using Brewer's Yeast. We had a Siamese who would literally crawl up your back if you were taking Brewer's Yeast. He'd eat as many as you'd give him and want more. He was an indoor-outdoor cat and NEVER had fleas.

There are apparently several websites out there touting its use (but many are seliing it, too, so beware). Here's one I thought was interesting...

http://www.myhealthycat.com/natural-flea-control.html

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have gotten fairly used to me that if they know I am not trying to pick them up, I can apply (using a welding glove just in case, which is kind of difficult) Advantage to them