Preventing tantrums after trips outdoors?

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few years back I used to take my cats outside on leashed walks. Both enjoyed this very much but I ended up stopping the practice because my male cat throws a fit once he comes back in the house, howling and trying to get back out by tearing at the windows and door for hours afterwards. Once he even bit me in the face when I picked him up to carry him back in at the end of a walk. I tried giving them treats, sardines etc when I bring them in to try and make him associate coming back in with something positive but it didn't work. Eventually I gave up in taking them outside because of his "tantrums" when coming back in and eventually he became less obsessed with getting outside. The issue is though that I would like to start taking them both out again to give them some enrichment and fresh air, sunlight etc. I also think my female cat may have developed boredom induced over grooming and I think going outside might help with that. I can't leave him inside while taking her out though, he flips out when I do that too. Is there any way to resume his trips outside while preventing his "freak outs" when its time to go back in?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is one reason why I just don't do it.  As it is my boy knows how to open the door if it's unlocked, and manically works at the handle, glaring at me, if it is

I don't know your situation, but my answer was to build a cat enclosure accessible through the wall, so he and the girl wander in and out.  He still desperately wants to get outside, but I know that just a bit is never enough, so I don't go there.

Failing that, lots of vertical space, window seats and playthings inside the house, along with quality playtime with you, would be my suggestion.

I do understand.. they get really determined!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A fenced in outdoor area would be great but unfortunately I'm in an apartment complex. I suppose I could chance the leash walks again to see how he handles it but I don't want to "get his hopes up" so to speak, only to have to stop again when his old behaviors resurface.

kimandxander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fascinated to hear that others have had this problem. I live in a condo building with a fenced-in back yard and have alternated between taking my cat out on a leash and letting him out in the yard. Recently he has protested coming inside to the point of throwing literal hissy fits, resulting in a serious facial laceration. So I decided to switch to leash only so I could bring him inside easily. Naturally, he managed to wiggle out of his harness and go halfway around the block. I managed to bring him in after about an hour, stressing both of us in the process.

My vet thought maybe a feral tom had moved into the neighborhood and the scent was setting him off. I've started clicker training to help keep my cat's mind busy, but I do think he needs the outdoors.