Preventing Mastitis

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've fostered this momma cat since she was still pregnant. Her babies turned 8 weeks old a few days ago and some went to their forever homes and some went to the shelter to be adopted yesterday. I thought she had been weaning them well, but it appears she's still heavily producing milk. Her teats are pretty swollen and full. She had been to the vet a few days ago and was diagnosed with IBD, she had a temp there and is on an antibiotic and steroid along with special food. She still has a temp of 103.1 today. I'm wondering if the temp is from all the milk? Will it eventually absorb? Is there anything I can do to help? I imagine it's uncomfortable.

And before anyone says yes I know the kittens should have stayed with her a little longer for socialization but it's not up to me, it's up to the shelter. They were all fully weaned and eating/drinking on their own but still occasionally nursing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she doing today?

Mastitis would be treated with antibiotics, which she is already on.

The fever may well be from her mammaries, which take about 2 weeks to dry up.

You can apply a warm, damp cloth as a compress, and/or heating pad, to her belly to bring down inflammation.

A vet may be able to offer an anti-inflammatory medication to give her relief.

christinesfosters christinesfosters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She actually went back to the shelter because she was crying and scratching at the door in the foster room and my resident cats were starting to fight each other and the dog when I let her roam :( I think they'll find her a new foster for a little bit until she's dried up and spayed.