Prettylitter?

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So as first-time cat owners we’re generally very lost on what kind of litter to get for our new 12-week-old kitten, as everyone seems to give us different advice. Right now we have “Yesterday’s News” paper litter, but apparently the smell will be really bad with that one, and it seems to be pretty expensive. The one he’s using right now is Tidy Cats non-clumping, but that seems to be too cheap in comparison? And wouldn’t it be better to get clumping? We’ve been told clay litter isn’t preferable, and people have differing opinions on scented or unscented. W were last recommended PrettyLitter because it changes color, would that be ideal for the little guy?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty Litter is mostly used to monitor a cat's urine for possible health issues like blood or glucose in the urine. The litter changes color as a reaction to something in the urine. Pretty Litter is also a subscription litter so you need to plan ahead to buy more and take into account any delays in shipping. You don't need that litter IMO.

Here's a TCS article on how to choose litter and how to switch:

There are some reviews of cat litter here on TCS:

Clumping non-scented litter is best.

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whatever they will poop in and is easy for you to scoop. It's not that important as long as it works and you don't have to worry about it. I use arm and hammer clump and seal slide. Easy to scoop and cat uses it. Not going to change.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use worlds best cat litter bc I love being able to flush it. I went to a clay litter for a while when we thought my allergy boy might be allergic to the litter and I hated having to use the litter genie after flushing for years.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am using Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal and love it. No smell at all, and it clumps instantly.