?pretty litter?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I am thinking about trying pretty litter in the next few months. Currently my cat uses tidy cats lightweight. Do you think my cat would dislike the texture? Has anyone tried it? How well did it work?

I have a huge tub & a normal “large” litter box for my cat. So it would take a lot of litter to start with.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty litter seems like such a cool idea! I haven't tried it though. Litter changes make me nervous with my bunch:-/

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty litter seems like such a cool idea! I haven't tried it though. Litter changes make me nervous with my bunch:-/
I've wondered as well about the "Pretty Litter" brand. Martha Stewart is a good spokesperson for this brand. I don't have any concerns trying it. If the product clumps , I might be interested .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does clump. If I try it, I’m will be in his small litter box first to see how/if he likes it. I’m mainly interested to monitor his urine to see if he needs a diet change or vet care.

I noticed Jackie pees plenty but I hear him. He starts out loud and fa. Then stop/starts/stop/starts a couple of times. So I can’t help but wonder if he is developing a health issue or if I’m just weird because I never heard my cats pee a few times every week before. With my last cats the litterbox was in a high noise area that had a fan or tv playing all the time, to drown out any pee sounds. With Jackie the litter box is in the bathroom. So as I wash my hands I can hear him.

I like the idea of pretty litter. I’m just worried the beads might be to big texture wise for my picky cat...... who currently has litter with the texture of sand.

His litter boxes:

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you order it straight from the website? couldn’t find it on Chewy.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty litter isn’t sold on chewy. You can get it direct from their site, and target and Walmart have started selling it.

it is not a clumping litter contrary to what a previous post states. You need to mix it around daily.

I used it for several months and decided against it. It is quite pricey. I had it in 4 litter boxes for 4 cats. They state a bag can last a month but even with using 4 boxes, after a week it got a funky smell. It wasn’t really pee smell, I can’t explain it.

it also tracks EVERYWHERE! I have several litter mats outside the boxes and it still was across the house

I wanted to love it, but couldn’t

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's silica crystals actually. I'm not a fan of silica crystals because they do get really gross after a week stings your nose.

My current cats won't even use crystals. I thied it for Indy and she peed on the floor.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty Litter is just silica beads with chemicals in it to make it change color when your cat pees on it.

The chemical is just a universal pH indicator like the stuff we used to use in college chemistry lab. When the crystals get wet, they change color based on the pH of the cat's urine.

While pH is a good indicator of acidity or alkalinity, it won't tell you much about your cat's health.
It can give a general indication of whether your cat's urine has changed pH but that's about it. A cat's urine pH could change, based on what they've been eating but, whether the Pretty Litter turns blue or green won't tell you much beyond that.

I don't know whether there have been any studies which show that using Pretty Litter can tell you much more about your cat's health than you could determine, yourself, just by examining your cat's litter box the normal way when you clean it the usual way.

If you like Pretty Litter and you can afford it, go ahead and use it. I'm sure that it's a good product.
Just don't go running out to buy it based on some slick marketing on their website.

It is mostly just marketing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not getting it because it doesn’t clump well & like you said it doesn’t work to tell you much about a cat’s health.

Fluffnugget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine didn't have a problem with it. Doesn't really clump up as much as other brands. Kind of pricey as I recall though.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have Pretty Litter in one box and regular clumping clay in another box. My two cats seem to prefer the Pretty Litter (or maybe just the box -- it's a different shape than the other one), but I like to give them options while still having an easier way to monitor their urine pH and more easily see if there's blood in their urine (because of the light color of the crystals). It's also much cheaper to only have Pretty Litter in one box, obviously, which is a concern for me.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the color change would make me crazy and paranoid. With 2 kitties, I wouldn't know who is having a problem. I had enough of an issue when the girls were having tummy troubles identifying who it was.

That being said, I do use a crystal litter. I have 2 of the scoop free automatic litterboxes. One of my cats needs the crystal litter - before I switched to it Delilah would chew her paws so much you could see pink skin under white fur. My second cat adjusted to it just fine.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat I guess. I just know after indy had an infection from stepping on a needle from the sewing machine neither of my cats would use the pretty litter. The vet said to use it because it would be less likely to contaminate the wound since it doesn't stick. But Indy peed on the floor instead of in the box. She was having none of it. I used regular non clumping litter until it healed and cleaned her paws.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use pretty litter, and it is non-clumping. My kitty has never had a problem with it and I’ve found it to be less dusty than other I used before which I like! I actually kind of like that it’s a non-clump that I can just scoop into the toilet and flush rather than bag and trash. Plus I haven’t noticed any kind of smell, nor have any guests, with it which is great! (I’m always paranoid about my house smelling and me not knowing because I live here 😂😂.) We have it on auto-ship that sends out once a month for us to change it so I also don’t have to worry about forgetting to buy some or running out lol. I just have one cat though so the knowing who has the problem isn’t an issue for me, so I can’t really speak to that 🤷🏼‍♀️ (He has never had any weird colors in there either)

We used regular non-scented clumping clay litter at first, but my mom sent us a free bag to try out and we never went back!