Presidents choice food

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys
Unfortunately I lost my job yesterday (contract ended) and it looks like I'm going on employment insurance for a bit. We're going to have to cut back on both ours and the cat's food.

Currently they're eating taste of the wild for dry and Chicken soup hairball for wet.
We've cut back on the wet because we just can't afford to do it anymore, but of course that means an increase in the dry.
I'm thinking if we cut back on costs for dry maybe I can afford to do some wet at least a few times a week.
I've been wondering what you think about the President's choice adult cat. It would be a cheaper option than the taste of the wild (approx $45/bag here).

Here are the ingredients. What do you think? Got any wet's for me to look for????

Chicken meal, chicken, brown rice, dehulled\\ barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed ttocopherols – source of vitamin e), potatoes, natural chicken flavour, whole dried egg, herring meal, salmon oil (source of dha), tomatoes, brewers yeast, phosphoric acid, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, calcium sulphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, vitamins & chelated minerals (vitamin e, vitamin c, niacin, inositol, vitamin a, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin k, beta carotene, vitamin d3, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b12, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), chicory root, yucca schidigera, dried rosemary.

thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! That's quite a price on TOTW. . .I pay about half that. I know things are priced differently in Canada, but still. Where do you buy it? Sometimes the "boutique" pet stores charge a lot more than you could find it at another location.

Anyway, the President's Choice dry doesn't look too awful. It's a step down from TOTW but not a bad food. Can you get Chicken Soup dry at a decent price? I think that would be slightly better.

For canned, look at labels. Sometimes even store brand canned foods are OK. The main things to avoid are added sugars and artificial colors. You may prefer to avoid by-products, but by-products in canned food are better than by-products in dry foods so it's not as important. Some cheaper brands don't have any grain, some expensive brands have lots of grain (and vice versa, of course). Whether you prefer to avoid grain or not, you should be able to find something for a decent price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately that's the way it is in Canada. I buy my dry from Global pet foods, and they are the only ones in my area that do carry the Taste of the wild.
The chicken soup was about $40 for the same size bag when I looked a few months ago.

thanks for the info. I wont feel so bad about feeding them the PC for the short term (hopefully very short term!!!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Hi guys
Unfortunately I lost my job yesterday (contract ended) and it looks like I'm going on employment insurance for a bit. We're going to have to cut back on both ours and the cat's food.

Currently they're eating taste of the wild for dry and Chicken soup hairball for wet.
We've cut back on the wet because we just can't afford to do it anymore, but of course that means an increase in the dry.
I'm thinking if we cut back on costs for dry maybe I can afford to do some wet at least a few times a week.
I've been wondering what you think about the President's choice adult cat. It would be a cheaper option than the taste of the wild (approx $45/bag here).

Here are the ingredients. What do you think? Got any wet's for me to look for????

Chicken meal, chicken, brown rice, dehulled\\ barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed ttocopherols – source of vitamin e), potatoes, natural chicken flavour, whole dried egg, herring meal, salmon oil (source of dha), tomatoes, brewers yeast, phosphoric acid, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, calcium sulphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, vitamins & chelated minerals (vitamin e, vitamin c, niacin, inositol, vitamin a, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin k, beta carotene, vitamin d3, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b12, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), chicory root, yucca schidigera, dried rosemary.

thanks
Agreed ... It is solid and looks fine for many kitties..

Please remember to Slowly change

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's gotta be more than Global Pet food around. Not sure were in Canada you are, but here in NS, there are little private owned pet food stores that sell high quality food for really cheap. They are usually in old buildings and churches. In fact, I might have a go look around at some of these places, lol. I know what its like to be stuck sometimes and have to feed crappy food (I was anyway, but I mean the really crappy stuff)...I hope it all works out ok for you

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FWIW...also.....here in Ottawa, the only places that sell premium cat food are the pet stores..not PetSmart, Pet Value, WalMart, or Zellers, or grocery stores etc. I just bought a 15-lb bag of Taste of the Wild dry for $38 plus 13% tax=$42.94 at a pet store called The Pampered Pet. They have free roaming cats...enjoyed that...

We're not legally allowed to bring back pet food from the US (think Mad Cow), yet most of our cat food bought in the stores is from...yup...the US....go figure....
But if I ever found TOTW during a US shopping trip...I could be tempted!!!!

mad hatter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whatever you do DON'T buy presidents choice cat food, I just bought a bag of pc nutrition first salmon and brown rice formula, opened the bag and WHOOOOO! is it ever RANCID, this stuff is definitely bad and by the smell, could kill or at least be a very costly vet bill, please stay away from presidents choice cat foods all together as I will from now on.

I was feeding this to a feral cat, but this new bag means big trouble exp date is nov/22/2015.

My indoor gets acana wild prairie regional formula and is a great food for cats IMO.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed President's Choice canned food regularly as part of my rotation of cat foods. It helps with the overall cost of their food and I've never had any problems with it.
I haven't fed the dry food though.

limor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might want to take one cup kibble to one cup water. Let is sit for a couple hours and puree with a blender. That is another way of getting water into a cats diet.

gemmasmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been eating PC wet food for one month now and loves it! She appears to be just as healthy as before. I used to feed her Natures Variety kibble but switched to cut costs as well. I now mix half NV kibble in with half PC wet food. The cans are pretty affordable. I buy them for about 1 dollar each after tax. I go through half a can a day.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You might want to take one cup kibble to one cup water. Let is sit for a couple hours and puree with a blender. That is another way of getting water into a cats diet.
Most vets really advise against this because bacteria grow like crazy in the mix and it can be really bad. If you mix dry food and water it pretty much has to be eaten immediately. 

milky07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Nutrion first isent a bad food I always check the expiry date, I feed it to my cat wet and dry 2kg was 7.98$ now it's 9.98$ in canada B.C and the 4kg were 15.98 $ now it's 17.98$ and 9kg is now 33.98$ was 31.98$ it whent up but still cheaper then pet store cat food there also canidae cat food not bad in price , or authority from petsmart I us to feed nature variety Instinct for 5lb or 5.5lb bag it was 25$ now it's 28.99 so I'd rather spend 33.98 for 9kg witch is 19.84lb .

Things are getting very pricy here in canada B.C

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Presidents Choice Nutrition First!  My dog who still lives with my parents in Nova Scotia has been eating it almost his entire life and does great on it.  I can't speak for cats as I live in the US now and unfortunately we don't have Loblaws here (how I miss that grocery store!).  If and when I move back to Canada I will definitely be feeding it.  

candicew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just found this thread as I will be trying out the canned of cat food. We use tons of PC brand ourself and I read the ingredients and would love to give the brand a try. $40 a month in wet food would work out way better for our family budget vs $115 on a speciality brand.