Prescription Food Choices for IBD

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty was just diagnosed with IBD on Friday. The vet is prescribing some prescription diets to put my kitty on for basically the rest of his life in order to control his IBD issues. She also recommended a very very slow transition to the new food. Before the prescription diet she had me try NB Green Pea & Duck before moving to a prescription diet. Put a 25% new green pea and duck and 75% old kibble in his bowl and he couldn't keep any of it down. That was a long night for both of us. So it was back to the vet in the morning.

Since he's still having issues (this has been going on and off since we got him in January), she is putting him on a prescription diet. Basically she gave me a couple of choices between Hills Prescription Diet Venison or Rabbit (don't remember the formula letters, have it written down somewhere. When I find it I'll post it) and Royal Canin IVD Venison or Rabbit.

I've settled on Royal Canin IVD Green Peas and Rabbit formula instead of the Hills diet. He really loves rabbit and is ok with venison. Chicken is a definite no-no, causes a big problems. I am hoping we can control his issues with prescription food, as the current situation is no fun for either of us. I just feel so bad for my poor kitty.

Has anyone else had much success with controlling their kitty's IBD issues with RC IVD prescription diet or should I have gone with the Hill's prescription diet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Success with IBD comes down to finding the right meat and starch formula( for one of my animals it was a beef diet
)... Rabbit IMHO is a good choice as it is a cooling meat( does not cause inflamation) and is easy to digest