Preparing For The End

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if this is the right place but I need some more information and support about trying to prepare for when one of my housemates (but they like me better) cats pass away. My first cat I had dead extremely unexpected and young of a heart attack and I still have nightmares of it. I know if they pass during business hours I can take them to my vet, but I’m almost scarred to do that because they told me just to throw their body in the garbage. I found some other pet places but getting though to them on phone is almost impossible and they reviews online isn’t very hopeful. I’m in the south East Tennessee area. I don’t want the body back I just want to know they are being taken care of with respect.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually you can ask for private cremation, or even group cremation in some cases for departed pets. Unless you want the urn, engraving, paw prints in clay, or other memorials, the actual cremation might be quite reasonable. Most vets have links to cremation services and certain companies usually pick up at the various hospitals. At least you will have peace of mind. Around here, putting deceased animals in the garbage would be illegal, but animals are also taken by rendering facilities. I am sorry that you are faced with this. I have always had animals cremated, including even outdoor ferals if I was the one caring for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet says they have years of life left but after going through one it’s hard not to think of the worse every morning. I never wanted more pets after that but I also learned when it comes to cats you don't always pick them.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I had this situation, my vet provided cremation services for $25.00. I live in Texas. Ask your vet about this on the next visit. If that's not satisfactory, call other vets for information. Also you might call an undertaker that provides cremation for humans. They probably won't do it for you, but they might be able to give you references for services that will.

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
burying not an option? animal lifespan is shorter than humans in general might be hard to accept, but focusing on the good memories you had and keep moving forward, in my opinion, is what our beloved pets would have wanted everyone to do

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to be morbid but there is a statute in my state which allows for the burying (or "burning") of pets (domesticated animals). It's pretty open ended as far as the where with the only requirement being that the grave be at least 2 feet deep. Obviously not much of an option if one is renting and very possibly an emotional issue if one sells their property down the road but at least the option is legally allowed for (at least in my state) if one so chooses to exercise it.

Again, I know it may be a morbid subject but I mention it as a possible option. Only if it's something that you'd be personally comfortable with of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a rental so burying is not an option.
darg darg for some it can be morbid but to me it’s not. The more I can prepare and have a plan in place the less likely I’m going to going to have a complete mental breakdown.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I know if they pass during business hours I can take them to my vet, but I’m almost scarred to do that because they told me just to throw their body in the garbage.
This is very difficult to hear especially coming from a vet's office. I would suggest calling a different vet. Do you have a veterinary feline practice near you, i.e. a vet who treats cats only? If I bring our cat into the veterinarian's office they offer several options, e.g. burial, cremation, or disposing of the body. They handle the situation with TLC which is comforting.

I understand your concern as well as your worry about having a plan in place. It sounds like you have enough time to do your research. I wish you the best of luck. :hangin:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm also shocked at the careless manner in which this conversation was handled by your vet.

Our vet practice has brochures in the waiting room for pet related information including end of life issues; burial, cremation, etc. If you ask they will provide more detailed info verbally as well.

Earlier this year, we knew our older cat was nearing the end of his life and were mentally preparing ourselves so we had already educated ourselves beforehand, however, as it turned out, he went downhill so rapidly over one weekend that we had little time to actually prepare. The vet, literally handled everything seamlessly for us from reminding us of our options the day before we made our decision to making sure we were ok before walking out the door once Casper had passed. This was a huge relief for us, since we were kind of walking around in a daze because of how fast it all happened.

Any good vet office will do the same so I'd urge you to consider another vet now instead of waiting until it's too late to do so. There's no reason to stay with a vet who you don't feel 100% confident in. Even if that time is in the future, you want to be able to trust the people and feel they will have yours and the pets best interests in mind and take your concerns seriously both now, and later.