preparing for a semi-feral cat to stay inside!

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey friends. One of my feral-turned-semi-feral cats has been coming inside for meals sometimes and has been exploring. He's still unsure about the whole house thing, but he's been getting used to the sounds and smells (although the TV scared him!! haha). He's affectionate and has even let me pet him inside the house. Though he's still jumpy, his adjustment seems to be fast! I have the feeling when it starts to get really cold, he might want to be inside (though we do have 2 winter shelters set up). However, I do worry that he'd get depressed if he stayed inside. Still, I want to prepare for the day he DOES want to stay inside for more than just food.

Basics: he's about 2 yrs old, neutered, and has never shown aggression to us but is starting to get territorial with other cats outside.

Is there anything in particular we need to do to make his adjustment to domestication easier? I know that some people add leaves and twigs to litter boxes to get them used to them but beyond that I don't know what to expect. We have no other indoor pets so I don't expect him to get territorial. But I am aware he might have a litter box adjustment period...

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey friends. One of my feral-turned-semi-feral cats has been coming inside for meals sometimes and has been exploring. He's still unsure about the whole house thing, but he's been getting used to the sounds and smells (although the TV scared him!! haha). He's affectionate and has even let me pet him inside the house. Though he's still jumpy, his adjustment seems to be fast! I have the feeling when it starts to get really cold, he might want to be inside (though we do have 2 winter shelters set up). However, I do worry that he'd get depressed if he stayed inside. Still, I want to prepare for the day he DOES want to stay inside for more than just food.

Basics: he's about 2 yrs old, neutered, and has never shown aggression to us but is starting to get territorial with other cats outside.

Is there anything in particular we need to do to make his adjustment to domestication easier? I know that some people add leaves and twigs to litter boxes to get them used to them but beyond that I don't know what to expect. We have no other indoor pets so I don't expect him to get territorial. But I am aware he might have a litter box adjustment period...
I might be in the same boat to. My back

Hello. I can relate to your post because I might find myself taking in my backyard kitty. He was one of 5 kitties I fed regularly. One kitty sadly died last month while another got sick and kept wandering off only to come to me in one weekend day every week for a month and then her visits stopped.☹ She looked fine and ate well when she visited me. I even took a video of her which now I am happy I did. Now her sister has left the group as well, I think she is taking the death of the other cat too hard. This leaves me with 2 brother cats. One of them wanders and misses meals, then comes back. If he leaves the group too, I am going to have to take the other friendly backyard kitty in. Meanwhile, I am getting mobbed with my front stoop kitties. My b.y. kitties don't get along with them, so that is a problem. They are territorial as well.

It seems that this kitty you mention is friendly enough if you can pet him and he enjoys your company. The biggest thing is getting keeping him in. He may voluntarily come in when the weather gets bad, but may not be as open to staying in if the weather isn't that bad yet. So I think you got to keep bringing him in and try to give him treats and food he really likes, as well as put toys out for him. Let him see your house as a safe plaxe where good things happen. Get him use to everyone and the typical noises in your house. When you condition him into believing that he is safe and there is nothing to be fearfully of in your house, he will want to come in more and stay in.

Have a room for him for the day he decides he wants to stay with you. Make the room as cat friendly as you can and give him some things he can use for laying low (e.g hideaway bed) You may want to clean him up before that ( use cleansing wipe). I applied flea medicines and and gave dewormers to kittens when I got them in. In regards to litter you can do as you mention or there is a product called Cat Attract that you pour into litter boxes (even over other litter) to entice him go in it. It is not cheap though. Make him apart of the family. You said he is adjusting fast, that is a clear sign he wants to be with you. When he has calmed down after coming into your house, you will have to move on the the next step-taking him to the vet. There is plenty of information on this site about taking cats to their 1st vet visit, so I won't get into it. Make sure the cat is up to date with vacs. Get him tested for parasites. You can get him tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids. See where his health stands.

It may take awhile for this cat to fully feel at home, but once he realizes he has a better life indoors with you, he may never go out. That has happened with the cats I took in. You are making his life so much better. Thank you for having the desire to take this cat in. So many ignore the plight of homeless kitties. They deserve better.
Best of luck to you.