Preparation If Cat's Outlive You

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where to put this, but I'll try here. I have four cats, am in my sixties, but in good health, but unfortunately there's no one to take care of my cats if something happens to me. Pet trusts only work if you have a caretaker. It's starting to limit my willingness to do things because I'm afraid something will happen and they'll end up in a shelter. Has anyone found a solution. Hopefully I will outlive all of them, but it's too bad there's no support network set up for this. I've found a few perpetual care places, but they just place them with foster families. I wish there was a retirement home for old cat ladies cats. I did find the article here on this topic, but again it only addresses what to do if you have caretakers.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard there are places where your cats can live out the rest of their lives, but it's incredibly expensive. :(

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've got a few friends who have said if it should happen, they would take at least some of my animals and I would leave them a tidy sum to keep up with their care. I don't think I could get anyone to take one dog and 6 cats, but four of the cats are bonded, and the other two are bonded to my dog, so that would leave a set of 4, and a set of 3. It's a very real thing worth thinking about no matter your age because you just never really know what could happen.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It shows how much you care about your cats that your are thinking about this. I think everyone here has made excellent suggestions. It’s hard, b/c just taking care of cats when you are in good shape adds up financially, let alone when you have to seriously take care of yourself. There are some places that will take care of your cat forever, some more expensive than others. I think Maggie101 has a good suggestion—- just reach out on FB or wherever you can! Find animal lovers in your area, maybe start a FB page dedicated to that one goal— everybody has to face this eventually, one way or another. B/c my siblings are 10 and 15 years older than me, I said I’d look after them, but that they -in writing- have to find ways and means should their cats live beyond them (I can’t afford 5 cats) and they kindly agreed. Meantime, I hope you don’t limit yourself from doing things entirely! A longer life is lived by connecting with others…perhaps Nextdoor could help. Let us know in your research if you find anything, and thanks for posting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well you can leave money to the person and not the cat. So you really have to trust that they’ll keep the nest egg for the cat. And you can set up a trust, but then someone has to manage it and it probably wouldn‘t be big enough to be worth it.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the resources to do it, you can set up an estate plan to take care of animals after you pass, or even if you need to "go into a home."

This is one of those things that can get tricky if you have vultures for relatives who are waiting for you to pass so they can inherit. People like that can attack an estate plan after you pass and it's a smart idea to plan with that in mind, unfortunately.

Even if you're not "old" accidents can happen. One thing I've tried to do is have friends who'd help my kitties if something happened to me; I, of course, promise to do likewise for theirs. If one of your friends has 20 cats, that could become a tall order, so you need to be mindful and maintain regular discussions.

The key thing to remember from the legal perspective is that laws vary in different states of the U.S.; what might work in Ole Miss might not work in Older Mass or vice versa. Here in California, an attorney friend notes that some probate court judges are very antsy about large animal care trusts.

In any case, hope you're all well, and thank you for wishing the same for me! Time runs shorter and shorter . . . .

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One thing I've tried to do is have friends who'd help my kitties if something happened to me
Our dog friend neighbors who are older than us had asked to care for their dog should something happen to her. They said they have money set aside for her care and we never asked the amount because we would take care of their dog no matter what. My main concern is that their dog has since passed and now they have two dogs not one. They haven't said anything about caring for them although maybe we should have that difficult conversation with them.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our dog friend neighbors who are older than us had asked to care for their dog should something happen to her. They said they have money set aside for her care and we never asked the amount because we would take care of their dog no matter what. My main concern is that their dog has since passed and now they have two dogs not one. They haven't said anything about caring for them although maybe we should have that difficult conversation with them.
I've had customers ask me if I would take their dogs should something happen to them, and aside from one (possibly two, actually) I've had to sadly turn them down. Most of the dogs are larger than my cats are used to, and aren't used to cats or knowingly chase them. As much as I feel for them I understand how difficult it would be to completely upset the balance to take on another pet, or groups of pets. I've always said that any dog that comes into my house has to accept the fact the cats were here first, the cats are staying, and are not to be harassed. Otherwise, they're out of here.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have the resources to do it, you can set up an estate plan to take care of animals after you pass, or even if you need to "go into a home."

This is one of those things that can get tricky if you have vultures for relatives who are waiting for you to pass so they can inherit. People like that can attack an estate plan after you pass and it's a smart idea to plan with that in mind, unfortunately.

Even if you're not "old" accidents can happen. One thing I've tried to do is have friends who'd help my kitties if something happened to me; I, of course, promise to do likewise for theirs. If one of your friends has 20 cats, that could become a tall order, so you need to be mindful and maintain regular discussions.
Oof. I'm actually even thinking, upon you writing that, that a tall order even includes your own cats!

If we were to make a mutual promise with any of our friends that would bring us to 5 total cats. With the price of vet care, and that I don't believe any of our friends have pet insurance....ouch.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
This is exactly why, as my cats have crossed the Bridge over the last five or six years, I haven’t adopted more. I now have only one cat after 50 years of having mostly three, but no fewer than two. And as devastating as it is to think about, she’ll be the last. I’m older than you and simply cannot run the risk of leaving my “kids” without a home. That would be even more devastating.

But…I did find a local rescue place that will take my cat if something should happen to me and my husband. I had to commit to leaving a sufficient amount in my will to ensure she can be supported until she crosses the Bridge. I volunteered there so I know she’ll be housed well and taken care of.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
About
This place is in the central part of CA and has been around for years. While the location won't help you, there might be a similar kind of place in the northeast. It is a $5000 fee per cat for them to live there for the rest of their lives and it may be paid in increments of $2.00 per day per cat.

Here in California, an attorney friend notes that some probate court judges are very antsy about large animal care trusts.
Very true

I keep a completely updated file with information about my cats. One very trustworthy friend is designated as beneficiary on an account which would leave her ample money to follow my instructions, although she would not physically have to do all of this herself as I have other friends who would help. She is the most logical and clear thinking in situations like this.

While I don't think that this will ever happen, I am in line to inherit a therapy dog King Charles cavalier spaniel if someone should pass on.

Are you in a position to begin to align yourself with or work with any reliable rescues in your area? It might be a start to establishing a connection. I know you said that you don't want the cats to be fostered and rehomed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found a few perpetual care places, but they just place them with foster families.
Why would this be a bad thing?

In any case, I really wouldn't have thought the situation where I'm located is so rare. I have one true no-kill shelter and another that works very hard to avoid euthanasia in my area. I chose one, filled out a form that includes listing the cat's quirks, any meds and health records, and added them in my will as beneficiaries of my car if it is not involved in a wreck and some money. They did not specify a dollar amount. The most challenging aspect of all this is ensuring that someone is able to enter the house (home security alarm codes and all that) to pick up the cat and get him/her to that shelter quickly.

All I care about is that said cat has a roof over his/her head and the necessities, including health needs, taken care of. If this is in a low- or no-kill shelter or rescue environment or in a fosters home, so be it because if I'm gone, his/her world just underwent a huge change anyway. The relationship he or she has with new people isn't going to be what it was with me.

I would tend to think there's more availability of the type of Legacy and Guardianship programs that I have access to here than people realize. I personally would never put this heavy responsibility on an individual, whether friend, relative or whatever because when the time comes, there's absolutely no way to know if the other person's situation has changed.

If I end up deciding I can't directly afford having an animal, I definitely will be fostering and volunteering. I can't have a decent quality of life without them 💗.

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, i See I’m not the only one who worries about their furry family. I‘m in my late 70’s and have 11 babies to care for. I use to have 13 at onetime but sadly lost 2 of them. I have often thought what would happen to them if something happens to me…I have 3 kids and I’m not sure if they would step in and divide them up (lol)…But what I started to do is I started a journal which I have dates written down on when each got a flea treatment/nail cut. Also wrote down who doesn’t get along with who etc, which ones belong together (get along best together) and I have a notebook with paperwork on each, such as their vet appointment/shots rec’d.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, i See I’m not the only one who worries about their furry family. I‘m in my late 70’s and have 11 babies to care for. I use to have 13 at onetime but sadly lost 2 of them. I have often thought what would happen to them if something happens to me…I have 3 kids and I’m not sure if they would step in and divide them up (lol)…But what I started to do is I started a journal which I have dates written down on when each got a flea treatment/nail cut. Also wrote down who doesn’t get along with who etc, which ones belong together (get along best together) and I have a notebook with paperwork on each, such as their vet appointment/shots rec’d.
This is an excellent idea. In the case of something happening suddenly (God forbid), the notebook is helpful.
I took care of a lady's pets, and she had 8 dogs. She had photos of each individual dog, their name, as well as their nicknames. She also had personality traits, which of her other dogs they were bonded to, diet/feeding schedule, any medications, vet information. Etc.
The nickname thing was something that has stuck with me forever, because (for example) my cat knows her name is Lila. But she also knows her "pet name" is "Munchie". My dogs name is Olivia, but I never call her that, it's always "Livie". These name sound very different than their given names and it's just another familiar thing they'll have if something should happen to me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep in mind if you have a purebred, the breeder sometimes take the cat back. Personally, I have an agreement with a dear friend who is as nuts over her pets as I as mine. If I pass away, she will find homes for my babies. I trust her completely because we are of the same mind about the cats.
I had a purebred dog from an excellent breeder who had it in their contract that if I should be unable to keep my dog for any reason, he was to go back to them. It was a huge peace of mind.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My contracts actually make it a nightmare as technically Magnus and Calcifer should return to one rescue and Ghost to the SPCA. So I'd have to separate a well-bonded trio. I like to believe in this scenario that they would understand that we made other arrangements.

We did put in our application that should we ever need short to mid range assistance that we would have a family friend watch them as we did when we had to live in a cat-free home for 6 months when we had Nobel and Lily. It was mentioned as a positive for our adoptions of Cal and Mags so I think their rescue would support this.