Pregnant?

mcbecca2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! My family and I just adopted a cat from Pets, Inc and we are waiting to get her fixed, but....Her stomach seems full and her nipples are protruding and pink. We just picked her up from the shelter 1 1/2 weeks ago. Weird huh? Anyway, other than ultrasound by a vet, is there any way to know for sure? SHe is supposed to go to a vet picked out by the shelter, but will they fix her if she is pregnant. I know, a lot of questions. I appreciate any help on this. Can't wait to look through the forum.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If her nipples are pink and enlarged, then yes its almost sure shes pregnant. The only way to tell for sure is to have a vet feel for fetuses or do an x ray. If you do not specificly say DO NOT SPAY if she is pregnant, then yes they will. You need to make it a point if you want her to have her kittens. Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcbecca2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I am going to call the shelter in the morning to ask them more information regarding her history, if they have any. I am thinking that may be she had kittens recently and her nipples are just still enlarged. (I think this is called denile, right) Does anyone know how long there nipples stay pink and protruded?

Official.buttercup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I am going to call the shelter in the morning to ask them more information regarding her history, if they have any. I am thinking that may be she had kittens recently and her nipples are just still enlarged. (I think this is called denile, right) Does anyone know how long there nipples stay pink and protruded?
This is an article I read trying to find an answer to your question:

How Long Will a Mama Cat's Breasts Stay Full After Weaning Kittens?

And it seems like the kitties breasts/nipples would shrink around two weeks after she finished weaning her kittens. You could read the article for more info, too. I hope it helps!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it takes about 2 weeks for milk to dry up.

I'm wondering if she's pregnant also.

Can you post pictures of her for us?