Pregnant Stray

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have been feeding stray cats for a while now. I have even made them a little shelter outside. I went out of town for a week and had my mother take care of the strays while I was gone. She told me that she had not seen this specific cat (I call tigger) since the day that I left. When I arrived back home I still did not see her until a few days later I spotted her outside late at night. I went to go see her and it was very obvious that she is pregnant. I am a little confused because before I left she did not look pregnant at all and I didn’t think that within a week you would be able to tell? I cannot afford a vet and they do not have any “affordable” shelters or vets near where I live which is unfortunate because there are a great deal of stray cats here. I have never dealt with a pregnant cat before and have no idea what to do. I’m not sure if I should leave her alone but I feel like that is not a good option. If anyone could give me advice on what to do it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thankyou!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures however they aren’t the best.
IMG_6559.jpg
IMG_6561.jpg
IMG_6560.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness - this is just a half-grown kitten herself. Such a shame!

Can you bring her inside so that she can be well fed to support her pregnancy, and so that she and any future kittens will be safe?

Is there no organization anywhere in your area that can help with trap, neuter, and release? You will be overrun with kittens and cats if these strays do not get spayed and neutered.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness - this is just a half-grown kitten herself. Such a shame!

Can you bring her inside so that she can be well fed to support her pregnancy, and so that she and any future kittens will be safe?

Is there no organization anywhere in your area that can help with trap, neuter, and release? You will be overrun with kittens and cats if these strays do not get spayed and neutered.
I have other inside dogs and cats I am worried that would stress her out and since she is a stray Iam worried about fleas. I have one vet in my area and they do not do tnr which is unfortunate because there a many strays in my town. I’m wondering if I make an area for her and continue to feed her if that would be okay. I’m just not sure what to do.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a TNR place slightly further afield? Because sadly although you are doing immediately the kind and right and loving thing by her the future= more hungry kitties. Have you tried networking theough Facebook or neighborhood groups? Is there a vet who might help out?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Making a place for her outside is very kind on your part but, speaking from experience, it does not guarantee that she will have the kittens there and that she will not begin to move them if she becomes uneasy with her surroundings.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know about how far along she looks to be?? I feel like she looks pretty big but have never dealt with a pregnant cat before.
IMG_6718.jpeg
IMG_6719.jpeg
IMG_6720.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a pretty cat! How old is she?

It’s difficult to say from a photo, but she’s definitely past the halfway point. I’d hazard a guess that she has at least 2 and possibly 3 weeks left — but that’s a guess. When you can see and feel kitten movement in her sides there’s usually 2-3 weeks left. Cat pregnancy runs 62-68 days normally.

Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a stray very friendly I have 2 cats and 2 dogs so hopefully we can take her in soon and then we would have her spayed! You can definitely feel and see kitten movement. Thankyou for your reply!