Pregnant Stray

KittyLover201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there....I just took in a 5 year old stray cat, he used to be so scared to come near me, but with alot of patience and sitting outside everynight for months, he finally came to me to eat, and while he was eatting i snunk a petting on his head and that was it..he LOVED IT , and now all that patience paid off, he built trust in me and followed me in the house, and never wants to go outside he runs away from the door..he is the most loveable cat I've ever had, now there's a 6 month old ( his daughter) thats pregnant outside and iam doing the same with her, her father is fixed now, and she will be to if i can get her in..she is staying by my side everynight outside, and seems scared of the other strays, so i need to get her in here to have her babies, then off to get neutered!!! But iam scared if i bring her in she might get so upset she might lose her babies??? Any requests...i made her a dog house outside with warm blankets, but iam worried after the birth the males might go after her get her preggy again, so maybe it's best she has them in my home i have other cats so maybe to keep her calm i can put her bed in the basement where it's nice and quiet? Any suggestions welcomed i never dealt with a pregnant cat or dog, helpppp she's due very soon
Thank you all kindly all my new friends ♡♡♡

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KittyLover201 KittyLover201

If you can scruff the pregnant female while petting her it would be awesome to go ahead and bring her in.

She will not lose babies by the action of being brought in. She will likely be very relieved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyLover201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice, she was here again tonight and ate allot, but seems everytime she eat i can hear funny noises coming from her belly,
Don't mind me iam just a big time worry wart! I think I'll take your advice and bring her in, put her down in my basement where it's safe and none of my other cats go down there,

But i think maybe i should take her to the vets once i get her in just to make sure all the babies are alive and well inside her, he might even be able to tell me how many she'll have?
I also worry about maybe she had one already somewhere and might need to feed it, cause i heard they can have one then a week later have more that's another reason i was worried about bringing her in, but maybe the vet can tell me...

But i have to do something iam worried sick, i won't even know how to help her if she has a problem with her delivery, but my neighbor would!
Thank you again for your advice, this seems like a very caring site I'll keep you posted on her, after i get used to using this site, LOL...Iam a newbee here but I'll do my best
Fondly
Kitty

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, bring her inside. Prepare her room for herself, as you are planning, and bring her inside. As quickly you can arrange it. The probability is very high she will want it herself, at any case, once she has landed. She isnt stupid, she surely knows being at your place is the best chance for her children. So she will cooperate.

A vet check up is good, but if you think it will stress her, perhaps best to wait. But if you do, dont let the vet make X-rays just because he can. It costs money and isnt necessary here.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I will mimic what everyone else has said, definitely bring her in! I don't believe that a vet visit is necessary unless she is in distress. It will likely just bring her unnecessary stress. If she had had another baby and was feeding it, you would be seeing a lot less of her! Thank you for caring for them! Post pictures if you can!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she has not had her babies yet. Bring her in today.

Cats' pregnant bellies make popping noises. It's normal. Sometimes it is the kittens, and sometimes it is gas pains.

A vet can only know how many kittens with an x-ray, and can give her a worm pill and flea meds. No vaccines while pregnant.

Put food, water, and litter in the basement with mom, and make a nest for her and the kittens.

Try not to worry too much. Most cats do fine in labor.

Thank you for caring for her! :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been given excellent advice! A vet visit might upset her so I would hold off unless there are signs of something wrong. I would offer her several nests to choose from - a large cardboard box with doorways cut out, a shallower box and maybe a pile of old towels on newspapers hidden behind something such as a nightstand or an easy chair. She may decide to select one spot for the birthing nest then move the babies thereafter, sometimes in a few days or not until a couple of weeks. How blessed she is to have you as her guardian!