Pregnant Stray Possibly In Labor?

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Animal rescuing is my thing
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! We recently took in a stray a couple weeks ago and she was super skinny and after we starting feeding her she started showing pregnancy symptoms and now she's the size of a balloon! Last night she had some white mucus coming out of her Vagina (I'm assuming her mucus plug?) followed by some bloody mucus that looks a bit stringy/goopy and she's shown all the pre labor/stage 1 labor symptoms except for contractions and her belly has dropped but I'm not sure how far along she is or if it's a false alarm or when to expect the Kittens? Any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like her body is preparing to go into labor soon. Discharge is common in the days leading up to labor. The kittens can drop up to a few days before as well.

Can you post a picture of her?

Have you made a nest for her?

It's just a matter of time! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to be inside. Can you please bring her in to one room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
I live with my boyfriend and his family and his mom doesn't want her to use the house as her toilet because we're renting and our landlord doesn't allow cats. I've been trying to litter box train her so that way I can try and convince her to let Tiny have her little ones inside

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put her in a bathroom with a litter box. Add dirt to the litter box. She will learn quickly, and any messes will be easy to clean. You can put puppy pads down too. She will never learn to use the box if she is outside.

It's very dangerous for her to be out now, and for any kittens. She needs to be moved in now.

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
I've been rescuing pregnant strays since I was 6 and I understand the dangers of having kittens outside but I don't pay the rent so it's not my decision that fact has been made very clear to me. I only made this forum because I've only been apart of one birthing process 9-10 years ago and I wanted advice to make sure she's doing okay.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Any news on kittens? Thank you for at least caring for her and feeding her! Would you be able to contact any rescue groups near you to see if they could take her in? I know many groups are full but that could be an option!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or possibly you have a friend who might foster this cat and kittens indoors? You could visit and help with finding homes.

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet :( by 3pm today (in 6 hours) she will reach hour 36 of when she lost her mucus plug would it be concerning if she doesn't start active labor then? Also surprisingly our town doesn't have a shelter for some reason only the big cities do but they're all high kill so we're keeping her and her babies till we can find them suitable homes. I do have lots of blankets and towels and underneath a few layers of towels I have straw as a basic insulator close enough to keep them warm but far enough not to hurt them.

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
There also was a REALLY loud thunderstorm last night and I sat outside with her for a few hours till it passed and I had her in my jacket absolutely terrified for the first 5 minutes and then fell asleep purring away once it quieted down. Would any of this affect her feeling safe to have her kittens or will it prolong her first stage?

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
Also there's no discharge at the moment and her vagina is pulsating and I believe this is her first litter and she's not too sure what's going on and she tries to clean her genital area but she's not too sure how to maneuver around her big belly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hard to say. Mucus plug can come out a few days ahead of labor, or right before.

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
Her breathing is rythmic and deep, her nostrils are flaring, and she's licking her genital area a lot are we getting close?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like she may be in labor.

Do you know anyone who may be able to keep her and her kittens inside?

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
I don't unfortunately. I just moved from Idaho all the way to Indiana for college but I do have a little of experience with outside cats and their newborns because one of mine would never keep hers inside no matter how hard we tried to keep her and the kittens in and I know I can manage a heat lamp and some rice socks for when mama is away and for the cold summer nights and how to make a nest with towels and blankets to keep them warm all the time. We also don't have any raccoons or possums anywhere near by so I know they'll be safe.

Dscott1173

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a stray (looks just like yours!) give birth far away from her nest I made her. She ended up bringing me her babies a few days later and I put momma and babies inside my house in a large crate. I had a litter box in my closet along with food and water. I'm renting too but I couldn't bear to think about these babies being outside in the heat. If you have to keep them outside, do you have a large crate or something to protect momma and babies? I covered mine with a black blanket. This is my first time dealing with this as well!

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpg
We just treated our dog for fleas and I would be devastated if the little babies got them which is why we can't bring mama inside. We don't have a large crate only a small cat carrier and right now I have her in a larger dresser drawer and I tried putting a blanket over half of it but she took it down.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom likely has fleas from being outside... She needs treatment, and then to be brought inside.

Kitty_Kind_Of_Girl

Young Cat
Purraise
I treated her 4-5 weeks ago and the dog yesterday and we're doing our best to keep the fleas at bay and get rid of them but they're hopping off of the dog and on to the carpet and he's shaking them off all over the house.