Pregnant Stray Looking For Place In/around My Home To Have Kittens

slow_momo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. There's a very pregnant stray that my family and I noticed a week or so back, and she seems to be having contractions trying to settle on somewhere to give birth. We've been trying to support her and give her space (we made up a few birthing boxes and left them around in the places she's favored so far) but she doesn't really trust us, beyond enjoying our home when (she thinks) we aren't around. We also have a few feral cat homes in the yard, some of which are even heated, that she might opt for. We have a house cat that we're keeping away from her right now, but I have no idea what to do once she has these kittens. We're willing to adopt this cat but she's not been friendly to us or our cat. We've all been hissed at and growled at by her and have just left her alone to do her thing since we haven't been able to form any kind of bond with her without scaring her off. We want to get her kittens to homes rather than allowing them to add to the stray/feral population, but I know they are supposed to be left with mama for 10-12 weeks... I'm afraid she'll have moved them far away by this point. What should we do?

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family has never had that problem at our house, but we helped with a friend who's stray cat has given birth outside. This was after she had had the kittens though.

What you could do is after she has given birth find the kittens and put them in a safe cage with a trap cage in front after she has left her kittens to find a meal. So that she will go into it to try and get to her kittens. Then if you are willing maybe set her up in a nice warm secluded area with her kittens and just make sure she has plenty of food and water. Once they are older you can socialize then.
With my family's friends stray they kept mom and kittens in the garage and they would open the cage once and awhile with the garage was shut so that mom couldn't run away, but you could also socialize the kittens. Most of the time the mom wouldn't want to leave the cage for them. Before the kittens were really old enough then the shelter had some cage space and took them in. What you could do though is let them out of the cage pick them up and socialize then. Then once old enough start giving them wet food and so on.

Sorry for any typos. My phone it weird when typing. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also feel free to do something else as this is the last minute thing we had to do because the mom kept moving her kittens.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for looking out for that poor kitty! :welcomesign:

Ruby3440 Ruby3440 has given you excellent suggestions. If you are not doing so already, I would be feeding her a good quality kitten food and give her KMR to drink, to increase her calcium (help prevent hypocalcemia) and provide extra protein and nutrients to support good fetal development.
Please keep us updated!! Prayers and vibes that all goes well! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have got some good advices. The situation isnt easy as the momma doesnt trust you, and surely isnt used to be inside either...

The hisssings dont need to be sharp warnings, she will just create some freedom for maneuvering. Really, calming herself!
So, dont take stupid risks, but the money bet its not really hostile, just a friendly warning.

Do what you can, and whatever you are doing will surely be better than just leaving her alone to fend for herself...
She will probably not go far away with her kittens, as you ARE her food source, and one of the few humans she knows, whom are at least somewhat reliable and somewhat friendly. Otherwise she wouldnt keep near your place in her hours of dire need...
So even if she moves them from your yard, she will probably return with them, and during the time, she will keep nearby.

OK. The standard advice for what to try to do.
Have her inside, in her own safe room, where she will be undisturbed as much as possible, save the caretaker. You may have a big cage for her there - it feels as a protection! Have a towel on the cage, so its feels alike a protective hole... And or a cat igloo / sideturned cardboard box to give it extra reassuring...

If you dont have a whole own room, elaborate out this arrangemant with a protective cage in some quiet corner.

An Feliway adapter may help, so may relaxing low music, classical harp music is said to be best, but almost any relaxing music may work...

Do NOT have radio with human voices on "to get her used to human voices". This will just stress her out in this stage of fostering. Later on perhaps, but not now.

The caretaker goes in humbly and calm, talks in a low sweet voice, makes friendly noises. Blink slowly in her direction, yawn a lot. Standing on all four stretch forward and backward... Dont look into her eyes (this is oK with home cats, but not with shy ferales).

Caretaker may have thick clothes and gloves on, and glasses / googles on, to feel safe and be more confident... I dont think she will attack, but its unpleasant to think on the risks... And being confident, its easier to radiate being non threatening and friendly...

You dont need to have food and water immediately near her is she is warning, its enough its in the room. The litter with some type of natural non scented cat sand, in another corner.

Our experience is, most of such shy semiferales mommas do copy, as soon she lands and realizes nobody is threatening her personally, and this is the best practical chances for her children. Safety and welfare of the children is more important then freedom.... That said, exceptions do occur, so unsworen is best....

Good luck!

Hello. There's a very pregnant stray that my family and I noticed a week or so back, and she seems to be having contractions trying to settle on somewhere to give birth. We've been trying to support her and give her space (we made up a few birthing boxes and left them around in the places she's favored so far) but she doesn't really trust us, beyond enjoying our home when (she thinks) we aren't around. We also have a few feral cat homes in the yard, some of which are even heated, that she might opt for. We have a house cat that we're keeping away from her right now, but I have no idea what to do once she has these kittens. We're willing to adopt this cat but she's not been friendly to us or our cat. We've all been hissed at and growled at by her and have just left her alone to do her thing since we haven't been able to form any kind of bond with her without scaring her off. We want to get her kittens to homes rather than allowing them to add to the stray/feral population, but I know they are supposed to be left with mama for 10-12 weeks... I'm afraid she'll have moved them far away by this point. What should we do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is coming around your house in the daylight and allowing you to see her, the chances she is truly feral is almost zero. She sounds more like a stray that is scared, nervous, and has lost her trust in humans. She WILL become a loving cat once again, but it will take patience and work. My tame house cats hiss when they are nervous, it is more a warning to stay away then a warning that she is going to attack. Sitting in the same area with her and talking to her calmly, and offering treats would go a long way towards gaining her trust. Food is a great motivator. She needs kitten food right now for it's extra nourishment and calories. I agree with the above, if you can use her kittens to lure her into a garage, etc. that would be the way to go. She will become almost insane at first with anxiety and nervousness, but will quickly settle down once she realizes you will not hurt her or her kittens and are there to help.