Pregnant Stray Lives In My Storage Building

ZaMM

Always land on my feet!
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted this as a reply but I thought it would be better posted here. I need help on how to keep a pregnant stray in my house to give birth if they are born outside they will be so hard to catch almost impossible. I wanna spay the mama and keep her and find the kitties homes unless one tickles my fancy! Please help!!! Any advice. IMG_20190409_232311.jpg
She bolts out the door as soon as she is done eating and I don't wanna put any stress on her!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Thank you for looking out for that pregnant kitty! I would lock her up in a small room (your bedroom can be a goal if Luna will allow it) and spend time with her as much as possible. before doing that, though, I recommend blocking underneath the bed and behind furniture and any other bad hiding spots. instead, give her boxes and cat carriers to use as caves. Her instincts will be to find a safe place, easily "defended", from which to establish base camp. From base camp, she will expand territory as she becomes accustomed to the sounds and smells of the household's routine. Sleeping with you greatly encourages comfort, as does grooming and play. Feliway and other pheromone diffusers are often helpful as is playing calming music. Cat litter should always be unscented/fragrance free and offering two boxes is better. Blocking views from the outside, at first, might help her focus on establishing territory inside. I am sure that you will get more tips soon. Here's an article:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is going to impede on Luna, can you get a large dog crate (ideally with openings on two sides to help with access, once it is closed) to put in your storage room? Is it an outdoor storage building, and is your weather warm enough? Is she at all friendly with you? That will go a long way with what I am suggesting.

If the large crate would work, you can begin feeding her in there, inside the storage building. Let her get used to the crate for a while with the door open. You can even set up an area in the crate for a possible birthing area - cardboard box with lots of blankets/towels (that you don't want to ever use again!!).

If you have any idea how long she has been pregnant and the possibility of when she could potentially deliver, hopefully you have some time to get her used to the crate before one day just closing it on her. If she has already let you touch her, all the better.

If there is not a lot of hiding places in the storage building, you can go inside there, and open the crate to feed her, change water, etc. If she leaves the crate, the storage building door should be closed, and hopefully you can lure her back into the crate with food. Whatever you find/have found is something she loves to eat. If the storage room can be somewhat cleared, if need be, all the better. If she is near delivery, and she has a hiding box (but you kind of need to be able to see in it) with plenty of blankets for her to begin creating her nest, she will probably not be as worried about getting out.

You can also place a litter box in the crate, and to avoid issues after birthing, use non-clumping litter - something like Fresh Step. That helps if the mom would choose to try to hide her babies in the litter box.

I have only done this once and it was with a fairly friendly stray, so bear in mind others with much more experience will come along and offer much more ideas for you to try.