Pregnant Stray- Bob

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My day and I found a stray a week ago. She was VERY skinny and all tummy. We took her in and have been giving her kitten food and kmr since. She seems to be very young. I would say almost a year- maybe. My daughter named her Bob... The first pics are of when we found her, the last is this evening. I’ve been feeling the kittens move for a week, tonight I got to actually see movement. She’s very antsy tonight, but otherwise no signs of labor. Thoughts on when she might be ready?
And yes, once kittens are weaned spay/neuter is on the top of the list for all.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s very sweet. Thank you for helping her.

Do you know what’s going on with her eye?

I think you’ll see kittens in the next week. Be sure to feed mom as much as she wants. Unlimited dry kitten food and meals of wet kitten food would be great.

Also, you may want to pull some kitten supplies together now. Powdered kitten milk replacer, a needleless syringe, and a small scale in grams are all helpful. The first two in case you need to supplement feed, and the scale so you can weigh the kittens daily and make sure they’re all thriving.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s pretty! Thanks for taking her in! Delivery in the next week is what I would think as well, since you can start to feel movement usually about two weeks before delivery. So, it’s time to start preparing, and gathering all your supplies.

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Is she always squinting like that? I would advise you to take her to the vet to get her eye checked out, if you haven’t already.

Thanks for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all!!! Her eye was like this when we found her. We do try to keep it clean, and she has an appt this coming week- which if she gives birth will be perfect timing! I do already have powdered kmr- which we’ve been adding to her food to help her gain some weight. Starting to gather everything else. My daughter made her a birthing box that she was kneading in yesterday. We also set up a couple other spots for her to choose from. She’s very loving, and loves for us to gently rub her belly. We have had a lot of interest from friends for her kittens, so we know that they have good homes..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest that you go ahead and pick up a tube of terramycin antibiotic ointment from the vet and begin using it on her eye. The eye may already be too far gone to save, but using warm, damp compresses on it, then applying the terramycin can only help, not hurt.

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**update** Bobs eye is looking better! Still waiting on kittens, her football is getting wider.:D They move like crazy! I’m super excited to meet them when they arrive! She’s still very snuggly and sweet- she likes to doze with my hand on her tummy. I’m attaching an aerial view from yesterday, and a derp with her open eye.:heartshape:

Attachments

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! And doing warm damp compresses on it at least once, sometimes twice a day.:catlove:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for taking care of this soon-to-be mama cat. You are her hero. She sure is looking way much better now. :)

Keep us informed. We'd love to see more pics especially of the babies. :)

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We lost mucus plug this morning!!!! Not dropped yet, but was in one of her nesting boxes cleaning up when I got up this morning! Yay!!!:hyper:

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**update** we had two kittens yesterday. The first was stillborn, the second didn’t make it overnight.:bawling2: She never had full mammary, no milk at all... She still looks extremely pregnant, and it feels like there might be more kittens?? I know it’s probably just her uterus contracting- but I keep hoping.:( The kittens didn’t have any fur, and almost seemed too early? She’s due to go to the vet tomorrow, so I guess I’ll see what they say. But, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I’m so sorry! If the kittens did not have fur they were premature and your cat miscarried them for some reason - possibly chromosomal abnormalities.

Kittens begin to get fur beginning the last 3 weeks of development:

Fetus Development in Cats

It does sound like your cat may still be pregnant. She would still have another 3 weeks to go before full-term delivery. Her body expelled the kittens that were not developing properly and should continue as normal now.

The vet can do an x-ray that will show if there are still kittens developing, how many, and at what stage. Please let us know what the vet says.

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**UPDATE** vet said bob is definitely still pregnant. There were 4-5 kittens via the X-rays! She also did ultrasound to measure heart rate and all was good! She figures another week to 10 days! Yay!

Catladyhthranne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bob had her kittens last night! The first was born at 11:33 on the 3rd, the other three were born between 12:15 and 2:30 am on the 4th. Momma was a trooper, hardly any noise, looked like a pro! All kittens are nursing, and mom barely leaves them. She stepped out to eat and I got a good snap of them!

Attachments