Pregnant Sadie - Foster Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Apple54321 Apple54321
Everyone is doing very well! Actually Sadie did the whole walking backwards in pain thing your Biscuit was doing. She only did it once about 4 hours after she gave birth to the last kitten and I chalked it up to after birth pains as she has been totally fine ever since.

All of the kittens are doing well. I've weighed them every day at the same time and there seems to be one kitten that doesn't get a lot that day but it's also never the same kitten. The first day after birth it was the first born grey kitten only gained 1g and today the grey kitten has gained 11g since yesterday. Today one of the black kittens only gained 3g.
Since it's not the same kitten I wouldn't know who to supplement.

Here are their stats from yesterday and today (stats from birth are above for anyone interested)

March 10
Grey - 112g
Black - 109g
Black - 112g
Darker Beige - 113g
Black - 97g
Light Beige - 104g
Red - 128

March 11
Grey - 123g
Black - 112g
Black - 124g
Darker Beige - 121g
Black - 108g
Light Beige - 112g
Red - 136g

Not hard to tell who the fatty is. LOL

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat ,;) fellow foster mom here have had 2 pregnants in my home because most of the time we find mom and babys stranded or just babys stranded amazing thing to do! I will follow your story i picked up puddles at the Shelter very pregnant and thought any day and we had her about 2 weeks before she had her babys that are now 5 days old. Good luck to.u will be soon im sure

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear all are doing well and what a sweetie in the picture. That's curious that Sadie did that too - Biscuit hasn't done since thankfully.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on all seven babies! Happy to hear they're doing well and mom too. Please keep us updated and remember we love pictures.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
How is the mama doing nursing 7? Weights seem decent - are you supplementing #5 small black? Maybe you should a bit.

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not supplemented the little black one. Yes he/she is the smallest but he is gaining weight just as well as the others. He has gained 7g the first day, then 11g the second and 8g the third day.
This is all within normal which shows me he is getting enough.

I’m more concerned when one only gains 1g to 3g a day regardless of how much they weigh because that shows me that that day that one didn’t get enough.

Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong!!

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
OK great, I thought I had read in other kitten threads that 10g gain/day is on the low end of acceptable. Sounds like this mama cat Sadie is a real champ!

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the little black kittens has his or her eyes open since yesterday at 5 days old! Seems early to me as I heard its usually 7-10 days.

I've also noticed a lot more fighting going on in the nest between siblings looking for food. Their all getting much bigger and now they squabble a lot more for a nipple. Pushing and shoving and scratching each others faces and crying over it.
If I see a couple of them fighting like that should I take one and feed it or just continue to watch weights like I've been doing?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're gaining a good amount of weight each day, I don't think you need to supplement. I would be offering momma kitty some KMR in addition to her meals. Those are a lot of beautiful babies she's feeding!

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks orange&white orange&white !

I gave the first kitten, the grey, a feeding just now. He lost 1g since yesterday’s weigh. He was 154g and today he is 153g. I always weight twice so there’s no error.

Should I supplement him every other feeding now with his mom? I’m worried about him :(