Pregnant rescue cat

Unknown2345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.
We rehomed a cat at the beginning of March that we were told was spayed… clearly not as she is now very, very pregnant!
Vet suspects that she is due middle to end of next week (so she was pregnant when she came to us!)
We have set up a kittening area for her, and I’ve put a large plastic box with a big hole in the front and filled it full of fleecy blankets. She was using this as a bed- however she’s now using it as a litter tray (and still using her litter tray).
Husband suggests removing the box and leaving the blankets to see whether that makes a difference but I’m open to other suggestions on what to do.
The previous owners have been less than helpful throughout all of this and have now blocked us.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Husband suggests removing the box and leaving the blankets to see whether that makes a difference but I’m open to other suggestions on what to do.
If you leave the blankets, she'll most likely pee on them. Get an enzyme spray that you can use on spots where she pees that she shouldn't. It'll eliminate the smell. Otherwise she'll keep going there.

Fluffy blankets are anyway not ideal for newborn kittens because they can smother. Better to have a flat fleece, or towel.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she gone out of the litter box anywhere else since you've had her? Might be worth checking with the vet whether she has a urinary tract infection, but it could just be a reaction from stress. Usually my fosters are really good about using the litter box, unless stress has them stuck in a corner. Interestingly, the kind of feral ones are the best about using the litter box.