Pregnant queen being aggressive before kittens are born

reishka

Give me the wonky babies!
Kitten
Purraise
Last December, a little black-and-white cat showed up in the yard. Extremely afraid of humans, super skinny. We tried to trap, but she was too smart for the traps, so we started leaving food out and built her a warming hut.

Back then, we couldn't tell if the cat was a "he" or a "she" ... but we started to win her over by sitting with her as she ate, inching closer, until she let me pet her at the end of January. She had started looking a little thicc, so I scruffed & crated her and immediately whisked her off to the vet. That was on Feb 2.

Turns out she's a "she", and she's pregnant. No chip, no collar, nothing. On Feb 2, the vet said she was probably 2 or 3 weeks away from giving birth. XRay showed 4, possibly 5 kittens (one much smaller than the rest). We set her up in a very tiny room in the house (slightly larger than a powder room). She has a birthing box, heated pad, blankets, a small cat tree, food at all times and water, a few toys that she doesn't know what to do with, litterbox, etc. She's in quarantine since she can't be vaccinated until after her kittens are here (at which point she'll get spayed, too) because I have 4 other resident cats. She's FIV/FeLV negative.

I'm no stranger to neo-natal kittens since I do a lot of foster and rescue work, but this is the first pregnant queen I've had who will give birth in my care.

Her temperment is SO hot and cold -- one minute she'll be head booping me (I always let her initiate), and the next she'll be hissing and swatting at me. She's tried to bite both me and my partner (to the point where I'm the only one that will interact with her now to keep her stress down). She'll come sit in my lap, but then start growling. She frequently attacks my feet one moment, but then is rubbing against my legs the next. Before we put a nesting box in the room with her, we had a floor futon that I would sit or lay on and she would come snuggle with me, but now every time I go into her room it seems to agitate her.

Part of me wants to assume this is all because she is young, probably a first time mama, is suddenly locked in a small room when she's used to her freedom, is probably still semi-feral, and she's uncomfortable with how big she's getting and feeling vulnerable and hormonal. We've been watching for signs of rabies just in case because of how her temperment's been, but so far see no other signs. We did touch base with our vet and they offered no suggestions other than to "keep an eye on her". I also haven't seen any imminent birthing behavior - no licking, no pacing, no nesting (we have a ring camera in the room so I can keep an eye on her)

Are my assumptions reasonable, or is there more of a reason to be concerned here? Is the hands-off approach the best option until the kittens get here, or should I continue to try and socialize her/win her trust?

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving that sweetie a real chance!!! Your post is a dream come true for all of us feral rescuers.
Your kitty is probably having Braxton Hicks contractions combined with overcoming socialization challenges. After the babies arrive, she might become hyper vigilant so it's probably a good idea to prepare for aggressive times (wear oven mitts, keep a blocking mechanism such as a flattened cardboard box, cookie sheet, etc., handy).ALSO, *important*, try to increase her calcium intake (your vet probably has suggestions) including high quality kitten food, KMR either as a beverage or sprinkled on food. Be sure that she has plenty of high quality water such as filtered or fresh, clean well water because dehydration as well as calcium deficiency can worsen the cramping. Additionally, I would give her a low watt heated pet pad (I like the K&H 4watt small square pad) and offer cat calming music and a small ticking clock (I bought a small, battery powered one for $1.89 on Temu).
My own story: After my disabled daughter's ESA cat passed at age 18yo, she chose a cat, Kelly, whose owner was in hospice. Unknown to me, the new cat was pregnant (the hospice caregivers didn't know that a cat less than a year old could get pregnant and would put her in with the aunt's registered Siamese tom for extended periods when owner was in hospital). My policy is to spay or spay/abort but twice the cat's spay date was pushed back (vet's grandson was killed out of state, a vet got airlifted for serious medical emergency with prolonged recovery) and Kelly calmly delivered 6 kittens 2 days before her 3rd spay date. Kelly had exhibited similar hot/cold reactions and when the kittens arrived - wow! What a protective mom! Kelly went after everyone, especially the other cats and dogs, which was difficult because our house has only a wood burner for heat so being in the warm central room was best for the kittens. After several weeks, when the kittens began toddling, Kelly relaxed considerably and harmony was restored. We did place one kitten at 10 weeks to an excellent home but after that, Kelly was so upset that we decided to keep the rest. Now my daughter has 5 very loyal cats who show their Siamese ancestry by acting as protective as the most diligent sheep dog! Kelly can alert not only to my daughter's seizures, she knows if I am getting a migraine and also goes into "comforting mode" when I had kidney trouble as well as when I had COVID.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reishka

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you catsknowme catsknowme ! This isn't my first rodeo with socializing ferals, just my first time with a pregnant mama :)

We have her on a combination of raw food and high-quality kitten food to keep up her calorie intake. She has access to fresh water and goat milk; I'll put out some KMR for her as well, and I'll start her on a calcium supplement -- such an easy thing I should have thought of!

She also does have a gentle warming pad (K&H) that's in her birthing box (it only takes up half the space but is plenty for her to lay on). I do see her laying on it frequently!

I was somewhat expecting her to be protective after the kittens arrived -- I think I was more just surprised at her behavior before they're here. But everything you say makes sense -- I'd be grumpy too!

Thank you for sharing about Kelly, and thank you for being so patient with her! She (and her babies) sound like they are a wonderful addition to your family once Kelly got over her spiciness 🔥 If you hadn't said she was siamese, I would have assumed a tortie... :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, I agree with the knowleable Catsknowme...

Changes in mood arent uncommon with high pregs... We hope they become docile and loving, but quite a few can also show off a more "nasty" side...
But she is wise. she knows she is safe now, so she dares to bite you... If she were scared fighting for sheer survival, she would lay low and let you do whatever you wished, for your mercy or not. Adapt and survive.

With a little luck it will leave and she will calm down. But she may be high strung protective to her kittens, so beware and prepare, have gloves and googles It it comes really bad, prepare to contend yourself just to giving food and changing litter. She and her kittens will anyway be much better off than alone outside.

You can always try with some calming, relaxing music when you arent there. And or a Feliway diffuser.

As one kitten smaller than the rest, prepare to handfeed it - think preemie. Or even, it will go further on, more or less soon. Such happens, its difficult to save them all.

I hear you do have goats milk, its good. Its one of my stable tips.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she is like this for all the reasons you mentioned, and if I had to put one at the top of the list it would be that she’s isolated when she was accustomed to her freedom previously.

Having said that, if your cats are indoor only and up to date on their vaccines, and no one is sick, it is probably okay to let her out a bit to socialize.

Beyond that, she is probably testing you to see if she can trust you once the babies are here.

Regardless, thank you for taking her in, and looking forward to cute kitten pics down the road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reishka

Kitten
Purraise
With a little luck it will leave and she will calm down. But she may be high strung protective to her kittens, so beware and prepare, have gloves and googles It it comes really bad, prepare to contend yourself just to giving food and changing litter. She and her kittens will anyway be much better off than alone outside.

As one kitten smaller than the rest, prepare to handfeed it - think preemie. Or even, it will go further on, more or less soon. Such happens, its difficult to save them all.
I'm definitely prepared to be as hands-off as she needs me to be! I'm trying to work with her, at her pace, and just be nearby if she needs anything. I just don't think I was expecting her to be so protective/angry before the kittens were here. After their arrival I expect to dart in and put down food, water, clean litter, and dart out until the kittens are older and toddling along. And I've got all the little kitten supplies for hand feeding and rearing, so if she rejects the little one and the little one has the will to survive, I can give it the best chance. But if it has to go, then we'll make sure it knows love while it's here. 🧡

Having said that, if your cats are indoor only and up to date on their vaccines, and no one is sick, it is probably okay to let her out a bit to socialize.
She is definitely mad about being kept in the small room -- she cries at the door, and paws at the door. But I definitely don't have enough trust with her to allow her out - there's no way I can guarantee I could get her back into the small room without injury to myself since she is so hot/cold. And when one of my cats is on the other side of the door, she hisses and attacks the door... to the point where I have started to keep all my resident cats downstairs so she isn't stressed out as much by them. There would definitely be fur flying if she was allowed to interact with my residents. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm definitely prepared to be as hands-off as she needs me to be! I'm trying to work with her, at her pace, and just be nearby if she needs anything. I just don't think I was expecting her to be so protective/angry before the kittens were here. After their arrival I expect to dart in and put down food, water, clean litter, and dart out until the kittens are older and toddling along. And I've got all the little kitten supplies for hand feeding and rearing, so if she rejects the little one and the little one has the will to survive, I can give it the best chance. But if it has to go, then we'll make sure it knows love while it's here. 🧡

She is definitely mad about being kept in the small room -- she cries at the door, and paws at the door. But I definitely don't have enough trust with her to allow her out - there's no way I can guarantee I could get her back into the small room without injury to myself since she is so hot/cold. And when one of my cats is on the other side of the door, she hisses and attacks the door... to the point where I have started to keep all my resident cats downstairs so she isn't stressed out as much by them. There would definitely be fur flying if she was allowed to interact with my residents. :(
If she is that high strung to your residents, as if they were unknown toms, its perhaps a part of her aggresiveness to you? YOU smell of your cats.

So perhaps, do pretend she is in quarantine from your cats, and so you change clothes outside her room, and wash off your hands... Common soap is enough, you dont need to use virus killing liquids. :)
May be worth a try.
And as said, calming music and or feliway... They say classic harp music is best for ferales you try to foster...