Pregnant Persian Cat delivered a stillborn but hasnt delivered the rest of the kittens

Lucy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, After 72 days, yesterday, my persian cat delivered her first kitten. Sadly, it was stillborn. She gave birth at 3:30pm. It is now the following day, 9am and she still hasnt delivered the other kittens. She has been meowing ALL NIGHT but there are signs of contraction.

How long should I wait until I bring her to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*there are no signs of contraction

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs a vet ASAP and likely an emergency C-section. It sounds like she’s either suffering from dystocia, which is lack of strong enough contractions to birth the kittens, or a kitten is stuck the wrong way and blocking everything.

She is probably in a great deal of pain and the kittens are in danger of not surviving. Persian births can be difficult due to the shape of their heads, but it could even be a breech kitten. Please get her to a vet ASAP and keep us posted!

P.S. 72 days is overdue.

Lucy2019 Lucy2019

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates? Definitely get to a vet, this is probably an emergency!!! Persians are one of the breeds that often need a C-section; in dogs, most Pekingese and French bulldogs are born via C-section which is why prior to modern veterinary practice only the rich owned them.
If money is an issue, many cat rescuers here who lack finances can often come up with good suggestions.
Prayers and vibes that your kitty is doing well and that you will be posting pics soon :vibes::grouphug::vibes::grouphug::vibes:

Lucy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, thank you for your msgs. I brought her back to the vet. She had an xray and apparently there are no other kittens inside. The vet gave her oxytocin to expel the placenta out and its been out already. She is now resting. She is back to her normal self. I am heartbroken that she had only one but stillborn kitten but also relieved that she is okay. Vet also advised to give cold compress twice a day to her nipples to prevent mastitis.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO MUCH for the update although I send my condolences. Such a bitter disappointment. Hopefully, your kitty is not mourning her lost baby. Another consideration is to see if a local rescue needs a nursing mother, assuming your cat is fully vaccinated. Please let us know how you both are doing :alright: :vibes:

Lucy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. She has been super clingy since the birth of her stillborn kitten. Just really making sure im always there for her. Im glad that im working from home. It has been such a rollercoaster of emotions since her pregnancy. I am just really happy now that shes okay.