Pregnant Panda Not Sure If Labor Is Near. Advice!

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
This is my first post! Quick backround, I have a pregnant kitty named Panda. She is a little under a year and due any day now. She got out when we were moving around the end of march. I honestly thought I lost her for good because she is not an outside cat and she was gone for days. We actually ended up moving and I went back to the old place about a week later and found her in an abandoned part of the complex filthy and skinny. Thankfully alive! Anyway she has not been out since and obviously got pregnant when she was on her expedition! I,'ve been feeling fetal movements for at least 3 weeks but no signs of nesting and eating and using her litter box Then today she began panting and breathing heavily for about an hour. She stopped as suddenly as it began and is now sleeping with no other signs, she looks like she swallowed a football and her nipples are enlarged though not lactating. She also has a lot of gas bubbles along with the fetal movement Can anyone tell me if labor is near? I'm so impatient! and yes she will b getting fixed as soon as the kittens are weaned. I just couldn't bring myself to get her an abortion.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds like she is nearing the end of her pregnancy, but she may have been experiencing some pre-labor. If she was out at the end of March, she's probably due anytime now or in the next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm just so impatient lol. She was escaped early morning March 21st and I finally found her the night of March 29th. So sometime in between, then so I know its any day now. How long does pre labor usually last before actual labor begins? I've read anywhere from 12 to 48 hours??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hard to say. It can be off and on for a few days. She's very pretty!

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! yeah she hasn't "dropped" nor lactating and she's still eating so I guess its the waiting game! Although I have read that some cats show no signs...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats show signs, but not everyone recognizes the signs. It's tough to be patient! :)

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indeed! Today Im a little worried though. I have moved her litter box and food into my closet (that's where I want her to give birth). She has been using it fine however when I woke up today I noticed the had an accident on my bathroom floor. Im not sure if its vomit or poo (looks more like poo) It was soft and a little runny and I noticed tiny puddles of water around it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds more like vomit. There's a lot going on in their systems right now. She should be okay.

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Puuurrrfect! Ok, a little off topic but you seem so knowledgeable! :) I also have a male cat Panther, who is an outside cat for the most part. Occasionally he comes in to rest and he is very bi-polar with her. He either wants to snuggle up with her or jump on her back and bite her neck and attack her. Because of this, I have confined her to my room, for her and her unborn kittens safety. We also have a large puppy. He is a goofball and doesn't bother her and she didn't bother him. Now he cannot come upstairs because if she catches a glimpse of him she will try to escape my room, chase him down and attack him! He is scared of her and I don't want any animals hurt so they are separated. I guess my question is why is the Panther like that towards her? And is this her maternal instincts against the dog? If so, why doesn't she attack Panther also?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She clearly trusts Panther more, but pregnant cats have a very strong maternal instinct to protect their young, so they can be fierce when defending against perceived "predators". It's normal.

Continue to keep her in your room and do not allow the others in.

Is Panther neutered?

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panther is neutered, but still acts very much like a tom. He is a hunter and very territorial outside. He fights other cats in the neighborhood and he is the smallest out of them! My neighbor has been complaining about him because she feeds the strays in the neighborhood and says he is eating all of the cat food (even after he has already eaten) and not letting the other cats in the neighborhood eat. He has also been trying to get into her house! I tried to keep him inside but he just cries and scratches at the window.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear. He would be much better off inside. Can you find out what time the neighbor feeds and keep him in at those times?

Those poor strays need the food. Have the strays been TNR'd?

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe she leaves dry catfood outside all day, she feeds wet food at certain times, at first she didn't mind feeding him also, however he is getting too much for her to handle. I should also let you know he does the same thing when he is inside. If there is food out or we are eating he is sure to jump up on the counter and table and try to take it right out of your hands! He also gets into the trash. I swear he has a dog mentality! Maybe he has a worm? He has been like this since we got him around 12-13 weeks though and he is now 7-8 months and has been vaccinated. And I'm sorry I'm not sure what TNR'd means?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
TNR means trapped, neutered, and released.

I think you should begin to keep your cat inside, even if he does not like it. He will learn to adjust. He sounds like he needs to learn some cat manners.

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes they have, some of them I believe are also neighborhood cats from up the street that also have homes, but like panther go for an extra meal. She probably would have assumed panther was a stray but since she lives right behind me she knows he has a home! I have tried to keep him inside but as soon as someone opens the door he bolts out. He will also stay out a lot longer (24hrs or more) if he is kept inside for more than a few days. I just don't know what to do with him. I have been thinking about finding him another home (one with no other animals) I love him to death but He seems like he needs to be an only cat. Your definitely right on him needing cat manners!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've not heard that before. Most cats will purr heavily during contractions, however.

Kimmiepie86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she has started breathing heavily again with her mouth open and panting. She is not purring loudly but when I get up close to her you can hear her purr very lightly while breathing