Pregnant or already a mom?

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A stray showed up 3 nights ago. She is very young, I think. I'm guessing 6 months, but I could be wrong. She is so thin I would call her skeletal. After feeding her, she ran off into the darkness. Same thing the past two nights. She shows up when it gets dark, and then dines and dashes. I want to take her to a shelter, but I am afraid she may have a kitten out there. She is friendly enough to let me pet her. I got a couple of quick pets under her belly and could tell the nipples are very pronounced. Her belly might be a little big compared to her emaciated frame, or it could be worms. I want to do the best for her, but I'm worried she may have a litter out there. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its fully possible she has a litter. So continue with serving her her evening meal, and perhaps breakfast if she dares...

After a few days more, you can try to follow her. Talk sweetly and nicely, and you can try to follow... With a little luck she may lead you to her nest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not trap her until you know for sure. It’s kitten season and as emaciated as she sounds, she more than likely has a litter of kittens hidden somewhere.

Feed her lots, as she could be pregnant as well, and try to determine her status. If she’s a pregnant stray, her belly will get rounder, and if she’s nursing a litter, her mammary glands will be full and the nipples elongated.

If she has a litter, she will eventually bring the kittens to you when they are ready to eat soft foods and begin to wean. This is when you want to bring mom and kittens inside.

Worst case scenario is she could be both pregnant and nursing. Sad, but happens often with strays.

Thank you for caring and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank all of you so much for replying. She showed up a little earlier tonight and I was able to snap a few pictures. Don't know if I'm doing it right.
IMG_20210705_201508468.jpg
IMG_20210705_201608446.jpg
IMG_20210705_201550710.jpg

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, its fully possible she has a litter. So continue with serving her her evening meal, and perhaps breakfast if she dares...

After a few days more, you can try to follow her. Talk sweetly and nicely, and you can try to follow... With a little luck she may lead you to her nest.
I live in a densely wooded area so tracking her in the dark might be tricky. Today she arrived a bit earlier, so I have hope that she will continue to do so and allow me to follow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a pretty cat! She would benefit from cans of wet food in addition to the dry, and do put out a bowl of fresh water for her as well.

Were you able to see her nipples at all?

In the second picture, her belly looks “baggy,” which indicates she may have a litter already.

I would see if she keeps coming for a few days before following. This will allow her to build trust in you.

Poor kitty looks very sweet and very young.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's so skinny-looking. If she's pregnant, I don't know where she's hiding them! Good on you for taking care of her.

If she's got a litter, some KMR would help her feed them as well as to replace her stores of calcium. In any case, it could do nought but good.

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I Messed It All Up!!
This morning I looked out the window and there was my skinny girl with her baby! I rushed out with her can of food and as soon as the baby saw me it ran under my car and hid. (Mom may be friendly, but her baby may have never seen a human before.)
Anyway, Mom has been hanging out on my patio all day and seems to have made herself at home. I check on her later, and I see baby nursing. I exit a different door and sneak up and grab the kitten. That's when I see the other TWO kittens hiding under a chair! As soon as I moved, they darted under my car. So the kitten in my hand is spitting, clawing, biting and since I didn't want to separate her from her mom, and the other two will need mom with them, I let kitten #1 go. Now I have three terrified kittens hiding under my car and I don't know if I will ever be able to catch them all. The mom really seems to trust me, but I don't know if the babies ever will.
To make matters worse, we are in the path of tropical storm Elsa. I hate to think of these babies out in it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where are you located? I myself am in the Tampa Bay area and we are in the storm’s path as well.

Do you have a large crate or box you can put out on your patio? Line it with towels and put wet food inside. Let mom see it if she is still there. Perhaps they will take shelter there.

A crate would be best so that you can close the door of it and bring them inside, and ultimately tame the kittens. But even a large box or bin would do for now to get through the storm. Make a door in the box and cover the top with plastic or towels to keep out the rain.

Can you tell how old the kittens are? 4-5 weeks?

At least the mystery is solved. Keep us posted! P PetraGrey

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are north of you near Crystal River. Fingers crossed it isn't a bad storm. Our patio has walls on two sides and has a roof made out of tent fabric. I have a carrier that is humongous. You could probably fit a German Shepherd in it, then I have a smaller one that's about the size of a large cat carrier. I assume they would prefer the huge one ( or would the smaller one be more cozy?)

Mom is still here, relaxing on the patio. The kittens might be 5-6 weeks. They sure can run fast! Two of them are diluted tortoiseshell and the third is a gray tuxedo. I can't believe Mama has been able to care for three babies with how small and frail she is. I'm completely in love with her and wish I could keep her. She's amazing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, set up the big carrier; for now without the door, just to protect them from the weather, later, once they're used to it, put the door back on, tie a rope to it, and hide somewhere, pull the door closed with all the kittens in it. It works! I've done it, and it's less traumatic for them than trapping.

To weatherproof the carrier for the storm, wrap it almost entirely in a cheap shower curtain (or 2 or 3, if it's that big. Dollar stores have shower curtains), leave just a corner of the door unwrapped. Lots of nice cozy towels and blankets inside, make sure it's somewhere that it won't blow around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with W Willowy - use the large carrier and do as much of what Willowy suggests as you can, plus add wet and dry food. The weather is expected to get bad after midnight tonight and during the early morning hours.

Hopefully mom will smell her food inside before she takes off for the evening and lead her babies there as well. Or come back to it later!

I think it’s good that mom trusts you and is easy-going. It may help the kittens learn to trust. You are right that the kittens do not understand humans yet, though it seems that mom may have once been a pet. She has found a safe place with you where her babies will get food as they begin to wean and need solids to thrive.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good the kittens are that young. They should be able to socialize fairly easy, once they dare to trust you...

Momma IS emaciated, but also has looks of a half siamese / russian blue... And these breeds are lean by themselves. So, not ALL her thinness is starvatiion, some part is naturally lean posture.

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought it might be a good idea to update. All kittens were eventually caught and mama and babies are staying in a spare room. They have all been to the vet and mama will be spayed next month.
I just wanted to thank all of you for your wonderful advice. It was so kind of you to take the time to help us. I am very grateful.