Pregnant Opie

hchristy06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Opie should be in week 10 by my calculations. This is her 2nd litter - we didn't get Dad snipped quick enough- she is 2 times bigger than the first litter of 4. She is loosing what seems like red like mucus... I haven't seen it on her I have noticed it when she gets up from where she lays at when she gets up and I step in it... Anyway... How much longer should it be now before she gives birth?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it sounds like that’s the mucus plug- the kittens should be arriving shortly! Cats typically loose their mucus plug a few hours before giving birth (although it can be up to a week prior, see reply #2 here: She's lost her mucus plug over 24 hours ago.)

This article lists some more signs to look for as a cat approaches delivery: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Do you have her nesting box all set up?
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Finally, can you keep her away from dad until the kittens are weaned, if he hasn’t been neutered yet? Even if he was neutered recently, male cats can still be fertile even a month after neutering. He may attempt to breed with her again, and we want mom to be completely focused on rearing her kittens.

Please, keep us updated! And please do share pictures once the kittens arrive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hchristy06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will... And yes Dad is snipped now... She is being very unusual.... She is completely different with this litter. First litter very loving normal Opie. This litter she hates everyone. The last couple of days she has been laying next to me on the floor and tonight she has moved to very much love me pay attention to me now mood. Only to me though. I'll take what I can get though. Thank you and watch for updates!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I will... And yes Dad is snipped now... She is being very unusual.... She is completely different with this litter. First litter very loving normal Opie. This litter she hates everyone. The last couple of days she has been laying next to me on the floor and tonight she has moved to very much love me pay attention to me now mood. Only to me though. I'll take what I can get though. Thank you and watch for updates!
That behavior change in that you noticed the last few days is another sign that the kittens are close! :)

Thanks for getting dad neutered!

hchristy06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kittens. Looks like her water is leaking. She keeps trying to hide under my bathroom sink in my foot spa. She refuses to look at the box I set up for her in my closet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Seems like she decided to make your foot spa her nesting box. You could try moving the foot spa and putting the cardboard box under the sink, or just put some old towels in the foot spa and let her use that.

A cat’s water breaks usually minutes to hours before delivery. It should be soon now!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There could be something she doesn't like about the box in the closet. It could have too tall sides/ too short sides or possibly there's a tv in your room that is too noisy or too much activity from you and your mate or possibly other animals? The bedding could be wrong. There could be smells of fabric softener from your clothing that she doesn't like. So many things.

Cat's are more comfortable if they have options. Outdoors they'd have a couple nesting sites prepared (most animals do this) just in case one becomes threatened at some point. If she's only had one previous litter she's still a little inexperienced and nervous but she now realizes what is going on and might become even more protective than she was with her last litter. There's nothing wrong with that or at least nothing out of the ordinary.

But again I'd make sure the bathroom undersink area is as safe as possible whether she pops there or not- the chemicals we typically store under sinks are not safe for cats whether newborns or grown cats.

If the male wasn't neutered too long ago make sure to keep him separate from her for a while so she doesn't get pregnant again and to prevent aggression. Cats can go into heat and get pregnant while they are nursing a litter. Biologically cats are absolutely phenomenal at reproduction and males can stay fertile and feel aggression for a little bit after neutering. Next to rabbits imo cats are right up there at reproduction.

I am guessing that if you are using that bathroom actively she will want to move somewhere else but just one nesting box isn't working for her so set up a few more in different areas. Think about the qualities she's drawn to. Is she in a dark cabinet under the sink or is it a basin sink with a cloth draped down? Is it tight or open. What is it about the sink that she likes? Is it closer to food and water than the closest? Is it closer to her litter box? It's possible too that setting up a food and water station and litter box in the bedroom would make it more attractive to her.

She now knows that those first few weeks with newborns doesn't allow her much time to wander far from them so sources of necessities could play a role.

hchristy06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is in labor and is pushing out kitten #1 now.. . She is now in a tote with a blanket.. she won't let me sleep and insists on my hand be on her at all times. .. I'm in for a long night ....

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's how it happens sometimes! I hope you'll get some rest by morning. Let us know how it goes!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I’m glad everything is going well so far!

hchristy06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 6 total. The last one just was delivered... Opie is so exhausted I had to help deliver the placenta for her.... She is in a tote of her choice sleeping ...

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
6! Oh my! They are so beautiful congrats! That momma is going to need some very good quality food to keep up with those kits. You have some very exciting weeks ahead of you:)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Rest up, Opie! You’ll have your work cut out for you with those six little ones!

Hchristy06, what is Opie eating now? I would recommend giving her kitten, or all life stages food, because it has higher caloric density. She’ll need that energy for nursing and caring for her kittens!