Pregnant mum

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Four days ago I had a pregnant mum arrive - I'm fostering for a local rescue shelter. I don't know much about the cat except that she was on the streets and someone feeding the strays noticed she was pregnant and caught her. The rescue lady thought she was maybe halfway through her pregnancy.
She's very quiet and quite timid. She spends her time hiding under the dresser in the room I've set up for her or in a little cubby I made for her with a pillow and a chair, looking pretty sleepy. I've not pushed her for any contact - she hisses if my hand gets too close but a few times she let me feed her treats by hand.
My three primary concerns at the moment:
1. She keeps winking one of her eyes, just in the last 24 hrs. As I watched today, she blinked and some clear fluid came out. There's not any redness that I can see and the discharge is definitely clear. I'm really hoping it's not an infection or if it is, hoping it resolves itself. I can't imagine getting her into a carrier to see a vet etc. etc., I think it would totally traumatise her! And I don't think I could get eye drops in her eye given her aversion to touching.
2. So far her appetite has been pretty good, until today. She ate wet food sometime between 6-10 last night, then dry food overnight as both bowls were empty when I woke up at 7 and gave her fresh food. She hasn't eaten anything at all since then though except for 4 x small treats. I read that pregnant cats need to eat a lot so I'm worried.
3. Any tips for earning her trust? I'm worried that if she needs help with the kittens, she'll not let me help.

Thanks for any and all tips! Excited for my first time as a foster cat mum and probably overthinking things =)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: she did a giant poo this evening so I thought maybe she just gorged herself and wasn't hungry. Then an hour or so later, she had some diarrhea (very wet). I think she has eaten a bit of wet food but can't tell.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bowel problems are most likely from gorging and different food than what she is used to. Her stomach may have acted up is why she didn't eat. I would just continue to feed her wet letting it sit there for a few hours, and keep a good dry out all the time. This isn't unusual for new cats. Her eye could be scratched or she may have feline herpes virus, which is VERY common in cats and is NOT transferrable to humans. it takes about two weeks to run its course. Watch for the clear discharge to turn white/green/yellow, then a secondary bacterial infection has set in and she will need an antibiotic. I think everything will settle down once she does. Bless you, for helping her!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles

Thank you for helping this mom and welcome to The Cat Site! The information in the above articles may help you to begin to establish a relationship with this girl. In the world of rescued/feral cats, 4 days is absolutely no time at all to expect much more of a reaction than you are getting from her. She may or may not be feral; having been a pet at one time and abandoned is not out of the question. Going slowly with her and not pushing yourself on her will be more successful than trying to touch her immediately. Avoid eye contact, sit near her but not looking at her, read outloud to her, or talk to her. I do understand your concern that she will need to allow you access to the babies.

My experience with cats is limited almost exclusively to ferals. I have had feral moms give birth in a sheltered place outside and allow me to handle the kittens eventually. This mom will have a chance to see that you mean no harm and are helping her which should make her more trusting.