Pregnant Mother Cat And Her Older Kitten

taniaevira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi okay so, im new here and kind of at lost of what to do to my cat who is pregnant and about to give birth. so shes being anxious and starting to find spots behind our dresser to settle (like every queens do before queening), and the problem is she already give birth in april and her kitten is only 2 months old and when the kitten follows her around for this last couple of days she got mad and hissed and clawed at her kitten. even when shes lying down in her bed and the kitten came to milk, shed clawed and bite the kitten. is this aggression a normal thing for a mother cat who is queening? oh and her kitten is male, does it have anything to do with it? and there is no adult male cat in our home and shes allowed to roam outside. please help and thankyou very much

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Separate them for now. Was the firt litter big or just this kitten?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Is litten weaned? I hear it still murses some

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taniaevira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. Is litten weaned? I hear it still murses some
the litter is just this one kitten and its still weaning. i separated the mother cat and put her inside a quiet and dimly lit room to calm her down. kinda sad to see the kitten sometimes scratches the door of the room calling her mom

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, she is actively rejecting now, so its a sort of active weaning, no? sadly smile...

But you perhaps mean, will she allow him back to nurse when the new litter is delivered? Its possible, especielly if the new litter is small. And if so, you may even allow it.

Be sure she gets good nourishment, including extra calcium. Especielly so if the litters is biggish.

taniaevira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now, she is actively rejecting now, so its a sort of active weaning, no? sadly smile...

But you perhaps mean, will she allow him back to nurse when the new litter is delivered? Its possible, especielly if the new litter is small. And if so, you may even allow it.

Be sure she gets good nourishment, including extra calcium. Especielly so if the litters is biggish.
thankyou so much, youve been such a great help for me

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep mom and babies 100% inside. It's not safe for her outside right now, and not healthy for mom or the babies she produces to have litter after litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to keep the mom cat 100% inside from now on to prevent another pregnancy.

She will need to be spayed as soon as the new litter weans.

Back to back pregnancies are very hard on mom cats, and you see already that she no longer wants her first baby around.

Does this kitten eat wet and dry cat food?

Most kittens need their moms for up to 12 weeks.

taniaevira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You'll need to keep the mom cat 100% inside from now on to prevent another pregnancy.

She will need to be spayed as soon as the new litter weans.

Back to back pregnancies are very hard on mom cats, and you see already that she no longer wants her first baby around.

Does this kitten eat wet and dry cat food?

Most kittens need their moms for up to 12 weeks.
is it possible that the mother cat doesn't want their older kitten because of the pregnancy? the kitten eats dry cat food most of the time, i only give them wet food a few times a month.

so if that's the case should i start giving the older kitten milk to supply the kitten with enough nutrients it usually got from the mother cat's milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk (goats milk or kmr) is no bad idea, but its not necessary, if the cat food you give is of good quality. If he eats wet food, please give it more often if its OK for you. Its easier to make OK wet food than OK dry food, so wet food is often better than typical cheap dry foods...
You can also give some mild full fat youghurt or mild cheese, if he wants. Its OK.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is exactly why the mom no longer wants her kitten - because she is pregnant.

The kitten needs wet food every single day to help it grow. The mom needs it every day also to support her pregnancy.

Do not give the kitten cow's milk. Cats are lactose intolerant, so they cannot digest cow's milk. It gives them diarrhea.

Do you have a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in your area?