Pregnant foster due any day?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took in a pregnant cat (I've been fostering for a year but this is my first preggo mama), and the vet estimated her to be due about 2 weeks ago. LOL. So obviously the vet was really off, but now it's driving me crazy bc I feel she is due any day, but I haven't done this before.

I've been seeing obvious baby movement for 2 weeks now, she is large (I'll attach a photo of the giant belly), her nipples are prominent. She has def had multiple litters before, as she was rescued from a community cat group. So, does she look so large because she has ten babies in there or because she's done this a bunch and things are stretched out? She's had no imaging done, so I have no idea how many to expect. I've read a lot about cat pregnancy/delivery. It's more just that I am antsy and anxious and wish I had a better idea of when it would happen!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3DAF5A16-E960-4F0A-994E-3D45D38EE9DA.jpeg

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like it should be any day now! She should give birth two weeks after you see anymore feel the kittens' movement. I'd say no more than seven kittens.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like it should be any day now! She should give birth two weeks after you see anymore feel the kittens' movement. I'd say no more than seven kittens.
Yeah I’m thinking any day now too. But I’ve been thinking that for a week so I’m loosing hope. Ha.
I really hope it’s 7 or less kittens!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's gonna have her kittens some time so don't lose hope. Yeah, I don't think that there will be anymore than seven. The average litter size is four but I'm thinking that she'll have more than four. Good luck!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of my cat the day before she gave birth to 4 healthy kittens!
View attachment 375656
Wow!!!! She looks like she’s got many more on board! People keep seeing my photos of Frida and acting shocked at her size, but I supppse there is a wide variety of shapes snd sizes of pregnant bellies! Thanks for sharing!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dude! That looks like more than four.
Haha! Yes to both of these kitties looking like more than 4!

I'm expecting at least 6. Just my own hunch. I'd rather it be no more than 6. . .but who knows.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you got that right! I'd say no more then seven.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the past hour she’s suddenly meowing if I’m not in the room (she’s generally super quiet), purring constant and making biscuits. And now she’s curled up in one of the nests. I think today is the day!
B01F4300-A2F2-40EF-8FFA-DE8B8B137A98.jpeg

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Finally came back to update!
On Saturday (april 4) her behavior shifted, I knew something was happening. But no contractions started. I was worried she’d have babies overnight and Id miss it!
the next morning—Easter Sunday—she was the same. Not eating, wanting a lot of affection, pacing around between nest boxes. Around 11am I noticed the first contractions. At 11:30 she birthed the first baby! And then had another 30min later like clockwork till their were five.
I was sure I could see another baby moving, but hours and hours went by snd no more babies.
they were all good size and doing well. The next day around 4pm I noticed her bum was wet and there was some new blood in the nest. I consulted the vet, but we decided it was just postpartum bleeding. I went snd made dinner for my family. At 7pm I went in to weigh the babies and their were 6!!!! She had a sixth (snd last) baby 30 hours later!!!! Omg. I was so shocked. And mad I missed it!
But that baby was a good weight and healthy too.
All six are gaining snd doing great now. At 5 days (and 4days) old!
I’ll post some pics

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
F3CDECD9-016E-4AA4-8227-250B12FE4870.jpeg

She wound up having one colorpoint, two grey tabbies and three brown tabbies. Only 1 boy !!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you weighing the kittens daily? With six there is a chance for a runt who may need supplementing. Sounds like mom did a beautiful job! 😊

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you weighing the kittens daily? With six there is a chance for a runt who may need supplementing. Sounds like mom did a beautiful job! 😊
Oh yes. I’m a foster and I have a protocol of weighing both morning snd evening for the first weeks! All doing great so far. One is smaller but is gaining