Pregnant Feral Cat! Need Help!

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I'm new here. I need advice on trapping a pregnant feral. Ideally I'd like to spay and socialize her.

I've been living in my new house for about 1 1/2 years now and so far she's had two litters. I've been able to catch all known kittens (4 total, 1 from the first litter and 3 from the second).

It's probably important to note that she's witnessed me catch her babies both times so she definitely hates me and thinks I'm the worst. She's very feral... I cannot get within 50 feet of her.

I had a trap set and caught just about every animal and OTHER cat in this neighborhood except her. I don't know if she's trap smart or what?? Anyway, yesterday I got a trail camera and after not seeing her for like six months and assuming she was dead... she came into my barn last night looking pretty pregnant. :/

Definitely want to catch her soon. But I don't know how if she's trap smart. Ideas??

Also side question... I caught footage of a large male (probably daddy) spraying all over my barn too. Is it likely he'll stop once she's spayed? (I do have two females barn cats but they are both fixed)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Thank you for caring about this mama, and saving her kittens from earlier litters. :catlove:

Seeing that you've caught every other animal in your area but her, I'd say she's trap smart.

Are there TNR organizations in your area you could call for assistance. They would probably have a drop trap, which is more effective with catching trap smart cats. They would probably also help with trapping and neutering "daddy", who probably will not stop spraying unless he is neutered. And maybe not even then, depending on how old he is.

I wonder if you tried feeding mama in your barn, and used something super smelly like sardines if she'd go in the trap. I've also read that few cats can resist KFC, so that's another option.

Here's a link with some tips:
Humane Trapping – Tips for Hard to Catch Cats | Feral Cat Focus

If you catch her, please let us know. Good luck. :heartshape:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she’s pg she’s probably going to be hungrier than usual. Like above said stinky food in the trap and tie trap open for a few nights. If you camera her going in and feeding withhold food or just put a minimal in for a night. Then trigger the trap and set out a banquet!

Please let us know. Also thanks from me for helping stop the kitten explosion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely going to tie the trap open for at least few nights and see if I can get her on can catch her on camera eating out of it. That's a great idea. I bought some stinky wet food... Hopefully that will work!

Btw... Something I'm a little afraid of... Last year when I started this project I caught a very young male. Very feral. When I walked to the trap the poor kitty flipped his lid and repeatedly rammed his head into the metal wires really hard in an attempt to escape and just wouldn't settle down. I felt so bad I just opened the trap and let him go. Has this happened to anyone?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It happens all the time. Males wander into my yard just looking, food, females, etc. I try to trap them and have arrangements with a local vet to neuter the same day I call. But many of them are terrified when trapped. Butt the cage until you would think they’d knock themselves out...poor babies. Usually completely covering the cage with a thick blanket makes them settle down. I use Harbor Freight Tools moving blanket...the small one around $3 on sale. It must be thick enough they can’t pull it into the trap with them and these are really thick.
If it happens again try the above....it works for me almost every time. You have to weigh in your own mind which is worse...the cat upset for a while vs continuously having to fight with others to breed.

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That makes me feel better about it for sure. I was mainly concerned he was going to seriously damage his head. Do the females react the same generally?

SO. Anyway. I've had the trap UN-set with food for a few nights now. Daddy comes into the barn every night. I haven't seen Mama except for the first time unfortunately. However... I saw a new cat last night. Possibly sister to a kitten I've kept. I assume she's from one of those previous litters I spoke of because the markings are very similar. I've never seen her before last night though. Looks fairly young... definitely not more than a year if she's from one of those two litters. She looks like she's in good shape... although possibly pregnant. Almost definitely pregnant with daddy walking around.

Including some pics for ya'll.

First one is daddy.
Second is mama to all known litters (looking a little rough and definitely a few years old at least). The cat in the bed is one of my barn cats.
Third one is the new female kitty.

Attachments

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like pretty comfortable digs! I’d hang around too and spread the word about this place!

Re your question, I not had the “cats go wild” with females and not all males. Covering them helps greatly.

So just how many do you have to s/n?

Cute bunch!

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just those 3 thus far... but I've only had the camera up less than a week lol. This is turning into quite a project haha.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kind of like if you build it they will come? Just think what you’d have if you didn’t spay and neuter.
Good luck wit the trapping

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
True thoughhh. Thank you! Will post updates on the coming events!

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One down, two to go. ;)

Not sure if this one if actually female or male. I assume female because I haven't seen any spraying on my camera feed from herhand she's rather small.

Just caught her a few minutes ago so I'm going to leave her alone for the night and get some sleep.

What do you guys recommend as far as steps to take care of her now? As I said above, I'd like to socialize her and let her birth (if preggo), find homes for kittens, spay, and keep her as barn cat.

Attachments

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for articles! Those are helpful!

She's not eating yet... it's been a little over 24 hours since I caught her. :( I've given her wet and dry food. Poor thing. But she seems fairly calm. She doesn't bounce off the walls when I come out to see her.

I was actually able to pick her up and exam her a couple times. Appears to be in good health, no injuries, definitely a female and her nipples are like tic-tac sized. I don't know if that's normal for females who aren't spayed or if that's a sign of pregnancy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully she'll relax enough to start eating soon.

As I'm sure you know, cats can't go too long without eating. Per the below TCS article, "When cats stop eating for more than 24 hours, you have to help them start eating again. When a cat has not eaten for 48 hours or more, this is a medical emergency and you need to contact your vet immediately."

Below is the link with more info. There's also food suggestions to entice a cat to eat.
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually checked on her moments after typing this and she had eaten all her food. :)

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question for you guys: I made her a large enclosed "whelping box" for when she's ready to give birth. I feel bad keeping her in there all the time because she makes such a mess of her litter box.

I'm wondering if I just keep her in a closed room with the cage open if she'll be able to keep everything a little more clean? One problem she's having in the cage is she keeps tipping her water dish and getting her paws wet and then steps in the litter box and the litter sticks to her paws and gets EVERYWHERE and like turns to this nasty, hard clay goop.

Definitely don't want her destroying anything though. What's your experience with keeping a feral cat in the house? Are they fairly clean?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have absolutely no experience with ferals, so everything I know is from reading this forum. So maybe I'm not the right person to give you advice, however, if she is using her litter box ok, then it would probably be ok to let her out of the cage. Even if she wasn't, you could use puppy pads to protect your floor.

Just make sure there is nowhere she can hide. Like under a bed, or behind furniture. You need to be able to reach her if you need to.

How is she today? Does she let you touch her? Or is she all growly and hissy?

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's calm but very scared. She has only hissed twice since I caught her and hasn't growled. I can pick her up and handle her pretty easily but she stiffens up and quivers a little. She definitely doesn't like when I come around. She's eating regularly which is good. She does seem to have diarrhea... could be stress, worms, and/or diet change.

I can tell this is going to take some time.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Question for you guys: I made her a large enclosed "whelping box" for when she's ready to give birth. I feel bad keeping her in there all the time because she makes such a mess of her litter box.

I'm wondering if I just keep her in a closed room with the cage open if she'll be able to keep everything a little more clean? One problem she's having in the cage is she keeps tipping her water dish and getting her paws wet and then steps in the litter box and the litter sticks to her paws and gets EVERYWHERE and like turns to this nasty, hard clay goop.

Definitely don't want her destroying anything though. What's your experience with keeping a feral cat in the house? Are they fairly clean?
you can confine her to one room-block off the bed/behind walls/furniture etc. Lay on the bed and read a book-don't talk..just let her get used to your smell and the sound of your breathing. She may hop up and investigate or just sleep in a chair or on the floor...it's so cool how they are when they realize they are safe and let us touch them!