Pregnant Female Aggressive Male

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jade is an escape artist of the worst kind. She jumped out the door and got herself pregnant again. She has been disappearing for days at a time, im half tempted to put a gopro on her and see where she goes. Lol. I'm actually concerned about 2 things.
1) we have an intact male. He is a product of her previous litter. He is not the father of this litter ( not old enough). The last day or so we have noticed that he has become increasingly aggressive with her. Chasing her around the house and growling at her. He refuses to let her eat to the point that we have had to separate them or he will steal her food or just guard it so she gets scared and won't eat. It has made her very depressed, and my normally aloof and laid back cat is demanding more attention, but she is timid about it. Our theory so far on the timidness is the fact that while the male doesn't spray he scent marks everything and everyone. All the time. Every time we come back from somewhere he has to rub all over us to the point of us getting agitated with him because he demands every bit of our attention. He is worse then a female in heat and it is making her afraid of being around us bc we smell like him and she is afraid of him. What, if anything, can I do about the aggression? He refuses to go outside but she is a free range cat and won't stay inside for long, and when she is inside she hates being confined to a single room. He also hates being confined and will be super vocal if he is not in easy access to his people (makes going to the bathroom super fun) so keeping them in separate rooms while she is inside is almost impossible.

2. She had 8 kittens with her last litter. I know each litter gets bigger, and she looked like she was going to explode last time. I know it sounds stupid but I'm worried she will not physically be able to carry more kittens, nor does she have enough nipples for more?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Separate them And neuter him.

Dont worry she shall manage. Although be prepared to handle a big litter. Ie rotating weighting be prepared to supplement feed some. Give her nourishing and calcium rich food. Dont let her eat more than 4 placentas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Separate them And neuter him.

Dont worry she shall manage. Although be prepared to handle a big litter. Ie rotating weighting be prepared to supplement feed some. Give her nourishing and calcium rich food. Dont let her eat more than 4 placentas.
She was a barn cat before we got her, and so she tends to hide when she gives birth. With the last litter I only knew she was delivering bc I woke up to go pee and heard her kittens cry. Also, why should I limit her to 4 placentas? I have never heard this before and didn't stop her last time?!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Because, there is much nourishments in placentas. also loaded with hormones and stuff. And if they get more than 4, it becomes very much rich nourishment at once, It become easily too much, and they often get difficult diarrhea. Not always, as you noticed. she has perhaps a stomach of iron, as they say. Still the danger is more than theoretical.

Re the rest. If she hides and dont want cooperation, so she doesnt. She managed 8 kittens earlier, lets hope she will do this again. Still its good you do have knowledge how you can help her if she allows to get help.

During the time, you can help her passively: nourishing, calcium rich food, easy access to water and litter, suitable gears for the nest... it will be anyway a big advantage above the average barn cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he is aggressive with her because he is coming of age. How old is he? They can get females pregnant alarmingly young in some cases. Why is no one spayed or neutered? Would you like to know some low cost options near you? Just need to know where (roughly) you are located.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your male needs to be neutered immediately. He will become even more aggressive, and he will spray around your entire home otherwise. It is a very simple procedure.

In the meantime, put the mom cat in a room to herself with her food, water, and litter, and a nest. She needs peace and quiet.

She also needs to be spayed after this litter.

Endless cycles of kittens are not healthy for mom, and there are too many unwanted kittens as it is.