Pregnant cat?

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've recently had to take in my brother’s cat. She is a year or so old. She has been very vocal affectionate, and has been licking herself a lot compared to our other cats. She was in indoor cat without any males around, and I am unsure if she has escaped recently but she does seem to have symptoms of ear mites as well. All of our other cats are fixed. I am unsure if she is “pinking up” but her nipples seem a bit more swollen than even my cat who has had kittens before.
E20E5B85-2C90-4E50-A0C6-4D46EAED7939.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can get better pictures if necessary.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, she prob sneaked out, and got both this and that - including earmites. Earmites is a strong indicium here; because as being inside only cat she shouldnt get them, its practically impossible, unless you are verry fond of cuddling every cat you see on streets.

So, do you wish to have kittens? Begin to plan for them.

You DO NOT wish to have kittens? A spay abort is fully possible and medically easy in this early phase.... Ethically much easier than late spay aborts...
So its just to contact your vet asap, and get time for spaying as soon its manageable.

Ps. The teats become reddish typically quite exactly day 21, so depending on when you noticed the reddening, just to count backwards 21-25 days...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll want to get the vet to treat her ears for mites. It will get her in the system also if she is pregnant.

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you a lot. I do think that if she is pregnant, I will not be able to abort the kittens as I do not have the money for anything like that at this time. Another reason being that I feel that to me since she is presumably 20+ days along, she already is waiting for them. I will do everything else I can to make sure she is healthy, and that her babies are healthy. I am an avid cat lover and I will find all of the babies good homes when they are ready.

I will keep everyone updated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you a lot. I do think that if she is pregnant, I will not be able to abort the kittens as I do not have the money for anything like that at this time. Another reason being that I feel that to me since she is presumably 20+ days along, she already is waiting for them. I will do everything else I can to make sure she is healthy, and that her babies are healthy. I am an avid cat lover and I will find all of the babies good homes when they are ready.

I will keep everyone updated!
You do as you wish and are able to.
But if its the money issue, remember spaying is waiting on you anyway... Spay abort shouldnt be much more costly. I guess some vets dont even charge extra.... Its easier for a vet to make a spay in the fourth week, than during heat.... (yes, I saw this discussed in a veterinary handbook).

Good luck, and please come back and report!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. The kittens prob wont be copies of her. If the male is a shorthair, they will be shorthairs too, all of them or at least half of them...

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have gotten some confirmation from my brother! He said she has recently escaped, about a month or a bit more ago. I have had to convince my family I live with and my brother that she is expecting. I am nervous for her, as this would be her first (and definitely last haha) litter. Is there anything I should be doing anything different in terms of her care compared to out other cats?

Also, she seems to be slightly aggressive towards our other cats? That or they are attacking her first. Plus she is crouching like she is in heat. Is she maybe close to the birth?

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also is licking her “you know what” and rolling around

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She could be 5-6 weeks along if what your brother says is accurate. How big are her sides when she’s standing and you look down at her? Cats begin to show around the fifth week.

If she is aggressive with your other cats, it’s because she is defending her unborn kittens. It’s instinctual. She’ll need a quiet, private place away from your other cats to have and raise her kittens.

She needs to eat as much wet and dry food as she wants while she is pregnant and nursing.

Check out these links to help you prepare:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? - TheCatSite

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - TheCatSite

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She also is licking her “you know what” and rolling around
Its not impossible she is in a new heat... Its rare but not unheard of, they can carry two different ltters simultanouusly.... With a little luck, they may deliver both litters without problems.

So, for example, one of my ex neigbours had her cat from such a second litter...

Another option is a false pregnancy... If so, she too can suddenly become into heat...
False pregnancies arent that common either, but less rare than such double pregnancies mentioned.

A good vet would know, or its just to wait and see... And protect her from your other cats if they are worrying her.

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is still rolling a lot, crying out, and licking. I picked her up earlier to bring her somewhere separated, and she seems really tense. She is alternating between laying on her back, squatting, and pacing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How big are her sides? How long have you had her? Her behavior sounds odd for a pregnant cat.

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her sides are big compared to our other cats, even though she is smaller than the others. We've had her a week or so, and she only really started acting like this more recently.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A vet checkup would be best, and they may be able to tell you how far along she is.

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are currently trying our best to get the soon-to-be mama cat a vet visit. I also realized I haven't fully showed her to you all, so I wanted to share pictures of her. She is such a pretty girl.
72F43E5F-8F1F-444D-9023-DCE44ECF37F8.jpeg
10BDAD6F-B33B-4E42-995D-ED6A45CDDF35.jpeg

Even though we will not be able to keep any of her kittens past the time she has weaned them and they are ready to be without her, I hope they all look as pretty as her.

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! Small update and question. So she's doing good and she is getting still bigger, and being a bit more aggressive not only to the other cats, but also to us. I assume that's mostly from her maternal instincts saying “Hey, the babies are close! Keep them safe!”

My question is: Is it okay for her to have catnip? I saw some mixed things online when relating to pregnant cats and catnip. My father is insisting it won't hurt her but I wanted to ask.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not give a pregnant cat any catnip. In my experience, it makes non-pregnant cats hyper. They drool and get overly excited.

You might want to try a plug-in Feliway diffuser. It emits calming pheromones. Pregnant cats are in a high hormonal state as it is. I would think products that calm versus stimulate them would be the better choice.

Phoenixxxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My main concern was my dad gave her some and I read it can possibly cause uterine contractions, which cause labor...