Pregnant Cat

Krissy4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey All. A little help please. My husband and I found a cat Aug 17th. We tried to locate the owners and no one has come forward to claim her or have we seen any missing cat posters. The first this we noticed was that the cat was as sweet as could be and had to have been a house cat at some point as when we brought her inside and fed her she sought out the litter box and used it without fail. Now a little later on in the night we found mites on her and in her ears. We treated the mites and what was at first thought to be fleas (as well as then having to treat our other 2 cats and 1 dog). We cleaned her up real good. Bath, brushed her, combed out all the scabs she had. It was heartbreaking to see her go through this and to think that someone out there caused this. I thought she had to have recently been fixed as there was hair missing from her belly. Didn't think much of it until... Fast forward to 1 week after we found her I noticed her belly getting bigger. Eeeek!! Now almost 2 weeks of having her it is confirmed she is pregnant. I can feel the babies move and can see the movement from time to time. What on earth do I do? Never had a kitty pregnant with babies before so I am at a loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can handle it herself, so don't worry. There are numerous articles on this site about how to care for a pregnant cat and her kittens. We are also always here to answer questions.

Welcome to the Cat Site! It's a wonderful place.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking this mama in!

Now is a good time to gather some supplies. Get a small scale that can weigh in grams, kitten milk replacer (powdered is best; avoid Hartz), and a needleless syringe in case you need to supplement. You may also want a heating pad that you can set on low.

Now is also a great time to set up a nest area for mom. She may not take an interested until she is in labor. Make sure she does not get outside at all under any circumstances until she is spayed.

You should feed her unlimited kitten dry food and meals of wet kitten food per day, 3-4 meals.

You may also want to think about deworming.

Do not get any shots for her until she goes in to be spayed. This can happen when the babies are 8 weeks old.