Pregnant cat

babymamacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

i have had this cat since she was about 8 weeks old. i have allowed her to mate with our neighborhood tom cat with intentions of her getting pregnant. can anyone tell me a guess or estimate of how far she is by the picture? i am almost sure she mated around the endish of march. her nipples are very big and pink but no milk is coming out yet. and what are some tips on how to care for my pregnant cat?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i have had this cat since she was about 8 weeks old. i have allowed her to mate with our neighborhood tom cat with intentions of her getting pregnant. can anyone tell me a guess or estimate of how far she is by the picture? i am almost sure she mated around the endish of march. her nipples are very big and pink but no milk is coming out yet. and what are some tips on how to care for my pregnant cat?
I will answer some a little later on.

When did you noticed the nipples get rosy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babymamacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am not sure i know i kept checking day after day after she mated. it may have been around the beginning of april. or the 2nd week of april

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

i am not sure i know i kept checking day after day after she mated. it may have been around the beginning of april. or the 2nd week of april
Aha, so you dont know this either...   Nay, Im not ironic, they get rosy almost always quite exactly on the day of 21  "three weeks after", so its the easiest way to rectyfiy the count, as bridgeplayers say.

Your next stop will be when you can feel the kittens move.  Which happens about 3 weeks before the expected delivery, latest at 2 weeks before...

Care?   Lotsa of good, nourishing food,  cat food of  kitten-type.  Be sure she isnt stressed out unnecessary.  No wild games or unnecessary hefty movements.  No full contact fooboll, show jumping riding, no such.  Although easier basic training is OK if she is used to it.   (a little joke, these last advices are most to human woman  sportsmen, but it happens to be true for cats too).   Begin to prepare several nests for her so she has something to choose from - although she will be seriously interested perhaps the day before delivery.

Some links:

Many of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/kitten-development-stages-illustrated-guide

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
http://www.kittenrescue.org/index.php/cat-care/kitten-care-handbook/
http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you think she mated at the end of March, then you are most likely looking at early June babies. Cat pregnancy is about 65 days, give or take a few days on either end for not knowing exactly. You most likely have at least three more weeks to go, maybe even four. Go ahead and read the links, and prepare nesting places. Also, as Stefan said, feed your cat kitten chow and high quality wet food so she has good nutrition and protein to grow healthy babies. I would keep her inside as well, so she does not pick up fleas or infections.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agreee with what was posted so far and I want to add make sure to have her to the vet and tested once the kittens are weaned. You have no idea what that tom cat could possibly be carrying, Feline AIDS, Feline Leukemia, and various parasites are likely if it is a roaming intact tomcat. I really worry about FIV and FeLV bc those are deadly and more common in free roaming, intact male cats. Not trying to scare you but these are all very serious concerns you need to think about when you allow your cat to be put at risk.