Pregnant Cat With Six Months Old Male At The Same Place

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The six months old male is her own kitten and they were never separated from each other at all at the previous home. The mother got pregnant again and now she is due in about one month. Both were up for urgent adoption since the previous owner is leaving the country permanently and didn't have a place for them and also the local shelter is full at the moment.
What should I do? separate them or let them stay together?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is some risk for new impregnation. No real risk for killing the coming babies. He. Will prob. Coparent them if momma allows. Neutering now is the best solves all. :). Tx for caring!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they can stay together, but please have the male kitten neutered or he may become aggressive soon when his testosterone comes in.

Please feed the mom as much dry and wet food as she wants for a healthy pregnancy, and make a nesting box for her.

Thank you for giving these kitties a home! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the male neutered? Are both being kept inside now?
No he isn't. I'm waiting for a good vet who does low-cost neutering and spaying at the moment. Hopefully the vet is available soon.
They are kept inside and seem to have adapted well to the new place.

There is some risk for new impregnation. No real risk for killing the coming babies. He. Will prob. Coparent them if momma allows. Neutering now is the best solves all. :). Tx for caring!
That's good to know. I'm considering neutering as soon as possible.

Yes, they can stay together, but please have the male kitten neutered or he may become aggressive soon when his testosterone comes in.

Please feed the mom as much dry and wet food as she wants for a healthy pregnancy, and make a nesting box for her.

Thank you for giving these kitties a home! :)
Yes I have a couple of empty boxes that she may find comfortable.
I'm giving her kitten food at the moment. Both dry and wet food.

She is lovely

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will unfortunately need to keep her son 100% away from her after she has delivered. She can get pregnant again within a week.

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You will unfortunately need to keep her son 100% away from her after she has delivered. She can get pregnant again within a week.
Even if I get him neutered before giving birth?
She is due in about three to four weeks according to her previous owner.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be fertile for around a month after neutering, so be sure to keep that in mind.

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She gave birth today to two kittens

I separated the mother and her son. Not just to avoid pregnancy, but to also have a quiet place for the mother since he was very active.
He hates being alone so I had to put him with a rescued kitten who doesn't mind having some company and they got along very well.

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Third kitten!
She took many hours between each kitten.
But everything is fine right now.