Pregnant cat week 5-6 stopped eating

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 3 weeks old they are too young to wean from mom onto soft foods, and absolutely not ready for the litter box yet. The earliest that kittens are ready for either, is about 5 weeks, but more often 6 weeks to 8 weeks.

I would not have mom on raw food while she is nursing. She should have unlimited access to wet kitten or cat food, as well as dry food and water available 24/7.

Kittens generally wean when they are ready between 6-8 weeks, and often continue to nurse mom for weeks after. They should stay with mom for 12-16 weeks, and you should not rush this process.

It seems to me that mom’s diet may be contributing to her lack of good health. As I suggested, skip the raw for now and give her as much wet food as she wants, supplement with dishes of KMR for extra calcium, and dry food and water available 24/7.

Do not expect much from the kittens for another 2 to 4 weeks. You cannot rush their development.

Are these the kittens who were born Dec. 12th, and with whom you have the flat-chested kitten problems?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At 3 weeks old they are too young to wean from mom onto soft foods, and absolutely not ready for the litter box yet. The earliest that kittens are ready for either, is about 5 weeks, but more often 6 weeks to 8 weeks.

I would not have mom on raw food while she is nursing. She should have unlimited access to wet kitten or cat food, as well as dry food and water available 24/7.

Kittens generally wean when they are ready between 6-8 weeks, and often continue to nurse mom for weeks after. They should stay with mom for 12-16 weeks, and you should not rush this process.

It seems to me that mom’s diet may be contributing to her lack of good health. As I suggested, skip the raw for now and give her as much wet food as she wants, supplement with dishes of KMR for extra calcium, and dry food and water available 24/7.

Do not expect much from the kittens for another 2 to 4 weeks. You cannot rush their development.

Are these the kittens who were born Dec. 12th, and with whom you have the flat-chested kitten problems?
yes it is the litter. The little one is doing great now I am less concerned about him.

Blood tests showed nutrition levels normal. I do give her Lily’s Kitchen wet kitten food but she prefers raw. She has dry food available but never eats any. She has 3-4 chicks plus 150-200g kitten raw food, plus 2-3 tins of kitten food, on top I give her 10-15ml KMR per day. She eats as much as she wants but still losing weight and is skinny. I began to supplement feeding all kittens to take some pressure off her.

I read online that 3-4 weeks they can be introduced to litter, but as you suggested I’ll do it later post 5 weeks. Thanks!

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is 3-4 chicks?
“Day old chicks” - it sounds disgusting but it’s whole and healthy food. Leia (mom)’s previous owner fed her with those and are her favourite food.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean they’re dead and frozen, normally sold to lizard/snake owners and zoos. Those are the poor male chicks did not make it pass the production line…