Pregnant cat week 5-6 stopped eating

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our baby girl (she’s actively registered, a rare breed & colour we’d like to her to get a litter before spaying her) is 5/6 week pregnant.

She’s been doubling her food intake for the past weeks. But suddenly 2 days ago, she showed no interest to food and become very passive, puked a couple of times, poop and pee all okay.

We were super concerned and took her to the out of hour vet (we were charged over £1000 for all checks and IV etc). Her blood test comes back all normal and all tests show she’s perfectly fine except being dehydrated. Put her on IV and given her anti sickness injection. She refuses food at the vet and we thought to bring her home as she’s an extra cautious/nervous girl would not eat anyways in a strange environment. We thought she’d be hydrated and when she settles down, she’d start eating…

But she still does not want to eat. We give her favourite food, she ate a little of it and that’s it… still super concerned. We went to two vets, spent £1500 on the visits but without finding out what the problem is.

Anyone on this forum has experience of cats lost appetite during pregnancy? How long this lasts and what can I do? I’ve tried all sorts of food - premium cat cans, raw, cooked, chicken, fish, snacks etc… now clueless and just worrying.. Please can you share your experience?

Thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh. She’s 1 year and 8 months, we were careful to ensure she’s mature enough. Also had done all checks for both her and the stud before the mating.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am clueless unless it is her hormones causing nausea and putting her off food. Most pregnant cats eat voraciously. There is the possibility that she has a virus that must run its course, and sometimes a virus lasts 2-3 days, and other times can last a week or more.

Assuming her pregnancy is progressing fine, if she does not begin eating soon, I would suggest taking her back in for more fluids and more anti-nausea meds, as she must at least stay hydrated.

Did you get an ultrasound done to check the pregnancy and to ensure all fetuses are located in the uterine horns?

Not all cat breeds handle pregnancy the same, and pure bred cats sometimes have a more difficult time than moggies.

I do hope things get better and she begins eating soon. Do keep us posted!

Jj1008 Jj1008

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its common they lose appetite the last days of preg, but losing appetite now is worrying. You got her checked up thought.

Advices? try with goats milk. If she takes it, good. If not, you will prob need to forcefeed her. With goats milk or some good kmr, or some
home made slurry of high quality cat food...

She must have both nutrients and fluids... With a little luck she will accept the forcefeeding without protests...

Jj1008 Jj1008

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I’ve bought goat milk just in case she still does not eat. She ate a little bit (certainly not enough) last night - and no vomitting or diarrhoea, she drinks water, I rubbed some nutrition paste on her nose and gum this morning, she licked them (but very unhappy about it). So it’s not really digistive.

The vet suspect it’s just she’s uncomfortable and her hormones as the kittens grow. But I’m not convinced - today is DAY 4 since she lost her appetit…. 😭

We’re going to observe her today, if it continues we will bring her back to the vet tomorrow.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some Delectable Lickables, a cat treat in a pouch, and see if she will lick some of that. Sick cats still seem to like that. I pray it is just a short virus or something that resolves quickly. Set small bowls of water around to encourage drinking, they check them out and drink just because they are 'there'. I wish you and her teh best, keep us informed!

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get some Delectable Lickables, a cat treat in a pouch, and see if she will lick some of that. Sick cats still seem to like that. I pray it is just a short virus or something that resolves quickly. Set small bowls of water around to encourage drinking, they check them out and drink just because they are 'there'. I wish you and her teh best, keep us informed!
Thanks we do have the lickablw and tried - no luck. I rubbed some on her nose and she licked them away, but that’s very small quantity of food.

Have put her in a separate room and closed the door so no disruption. She seems to be more comfy - sleeping by her buddy’s side, stretched out on her side, breathing rate slower. And she just woke up, groomed herself and even her buddy a bit. Think that’s a good sign maybe she’s in recovery.

Thanks for the advice on water, i’m putting some in the room.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1000 for all checks and IV etc). Her blood test comes back all normal and all tests show she’s perfectly fine except being dehydrated. Put her on IV and given her anti sickness injection. She refuses food at the vet and we thought to bring her home as she’s an extra cautious/nervous girl would not eat anyways in a strange environment. We thought she’d be hydr
I am clueless unless it is her hormones causing nausea and putting her off food. Most pregnant cats eat voraciously. There is the possibility that she has a virus that must run its course, and sometimes a virus lasts 2-3 days, and other times can last a week or more.

Assuming her pregnancy is progressing fine, if she does not begin eating soon, I would suggest taking her back in for more fluids and more anti-nausea meds, as she must at least stay hydrated.

Did you get an ultrasound done to check the pregnancy and to ensure all fetuses are located in the uterine horns?

Not all cat breeds handle pregnancy the same, and pure bred cats sometimes have a more difficult time than moggies.

I do hope things get better and she begins eating soon. Do keep us posted!

Jj1008 Jj1008
She’s a Savannah and in Snow colour, very rare. This is her now, seems more comfy.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One idea more. Lacking appetite is sometimes, they cant feel the smell, and thus, less taste... So warming up the food a little, may sometimes help.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update- yesterday I started to syringe feed her kitten milk. It definitely helped to get some of her energy back. Got roughly 50ml into her (5-6 times feeding). I also rubbed some canned cat food on her paw & she lick some and ate a tiny little bit.

She slept soundly last night next to me. When she woke up this morning, went to smell all cat food, showed interest but still did not eat.

Gave her 15ml kitten milk, she then went to eat her normal food, but only about 1/2 of the normal quantity then stopped. It’s a good start, she’s eating and feel like she’s in recovery.

The small amount could be because of the kitten milk or that she’s pregnant and stomach’s pushed to feel full.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s good you are helping her with the formula. Keep it up!
thank you so much for the recommendation! Vet said avoid force feeding, and bring her in if she does not eat/drink. But I think the kitten milk saved her life.

She’s gradually getting back to her normal self now: sleeping with her buddy, grooming, even showed interest to play. She ate a little of food by herself too every few hours! So relieved.

I’ve got one more question as never been through this before - shall we separate her buddy (a neutered male) from her when and after her giving birth? They’re best friends, sometimes the male plays the “mother” role.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since they are such good friends, I would not separate them unless he threatens the kittens. However, most neutered males who are such good buddies will cuddle and lick the kittens and co-parent with ease. So it’s a call you’ll need to make later, but he sure sounds gentle, loving, and supportive right now. She’ll probably want him there during her labor as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thank you so much for the recommendation! Vet said avoid force feeding, and bring her in if she does not eat/drink. But I think the kitten milk saved her life.

She’s gradually getting back to her normal self now: sleeping with her buddy, grooming, even showed interest to play. She ate a little of food by herself too every few hours! So relieved.

I’ve got one more question as never been through this before - shall we separate her buddy (a neutered male) from her when and after her giving birth? They’re best friends, sometimes the male plays the “mother” role.
Im happy she is recovering now, tx to your good care and Buddys support.

Re Buddy, I totally agree with SArthur. Keep an eye on him the first moments with kittens; it happens adults dont understand what kittens are, and may be aggressive afraid of them, a defensive swipe may occur... But my heavy money bet is he will continue to support her, and probably will co-parent. Quite a few males do, even some fertile males not always the biological parent, if he is best friend with momma.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - my girl just gave birth to 5 beautiful healthy kittens, the smallest one is 68g and the biggest is 116g 😅

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Glad all went well, but 5 is a lot, and your smallest is tiny — less than 90 grams is premature by birth weight.

So, you must hand feed - supplement - this baby, until it is bigger. You can try putting the baby to mom when the others are not nursing, but the normal protocol for tiny babies is to supplement right away. especially if the baby is not strong enough to nurse yet.

Sometimes it only takes a couple of days to get a baby strong enough, but other times it can take a week. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

I hope this helps. Weigh the babies daily to ensure weight gain. A tiny one (which you have) requires more care. Tinies need feeding through the night. Every 2-3 hours initially.

You’ve got a tiny, so please do what is necessary and keep us posted so we can help you!

Jj1008 Jj1008

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
P.S. You must use powdered KMR, not liquid pre-mixed. Powdered KMR is best.

Please do keep us posted!

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was a surprise for me too and it’s her first litter. I was expecting 2-3, felt very sorry for the girl after the 3rd and kind of wished that’s it. But the later births got easier, the last one just slipped out.

and yes I was worried about the tiny one and checked constantly, it’s feeding quite well and seems to be strong & vocal, temperature is normal too. I’ve got formula ready to feed any of them. They all seem to be fine for now. Yes I will weigh daily and hope all of them stay healthy and my girl recovers well (she’s already ate two cans food, given her some nutrition paste and kitten milk too, soundly sleeping now).

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S. You must use powdered KMR, not liquid pre-mixed. Powdered KMR is best.

Please do keep us posted!
Update:

We took the mom in for a check up just ensure everything’s out and no complications. She’s a healthy and happy mom.

The kittens are all doing amazing, all are now above 70g, the lightest is now 76g. The smallest one had some difficult to feed and I did nurse it and the other one with formula, they are catching up.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens are now 23 days old, the mom is on a mixture of raw (for kitten) and wet kitten food (Lily’s Kitchen) diet.

She had a bit of episode recently - diarrhoea and vomiting, I took her to the vet straightaway worrying about low blood calcium, thankfully the blood test was normal, she only needed IV for hydration, deworming and probiotics. But the poor girl is getting so skinny as the kittens grow, I worry about her health and would like to wean the kittens onto soft food as soon as possible.

A couple of the kittens showed interests in mom’s food, one of the them ate a couple of small pieces raw chicken breast. I want to start introduce mom’s food to them, is it too early?

I’ve tried to introduce them to litter, they tried to eat it (Catsan). I think the litter and soft food should go together as the mom shouldn’t eat their poop any more. But how can I stop them eating litter? Thank you!