Pregnant Cat Water Broke But Still No Babies?

Ciarajayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat is pregnant this was intentional due to my brother wanting to have one of his cats kittens. Well my cat started to show signs of going into labor about 48 hours ago. She was crying for me following me around and wanting me to rub her belly well about 36 hours ago I noticed a pinkish brown discharge. I called he vet he said everything was fine and that her kittens should be here within the day. Well I stayed up all night last night thinking they were coming and still no kittens well it’s now late tonight and still no sign of kittens and her discharge has turned to more of a clear color and it’s all over her tail and bottom. Since tomorrow is Sunday and her vet isn’t open and no one is answering the emergency line at her vet I am very nervous. She doesn’t seem to be having contractions but she does to appear to have dropped ever so slightly. Is this normal or should I try and find an animal ER?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds normal to me! Are you able to get her spayed after this litter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, its probably OK. The waters may broke earlier hours before the actual delivery. Its not the ideal, but common enough. As long she doesnt have actual active contraction, you can wait and see.
Good you are observant, the situation is touchy. But with any luck, its OK.

The tummy rubbing phase and dropping happens usually a couple of days before teh expected delivery. So this is another hint she isnt really ready yet, even if its surely coming on step by step.

Try to stay calm, as the cat gets nervous if YOU are nervous. :)

Please continue to watchfully observe, and to report back to us.

So my cat is pregnant this was intentional due to my brother wanting to have one of his cats kittens. Well my cat started to show signs of going into labor about 48 hours ago. She was crying for me following me around and wanting me to rub her belly well about 36 hours ago I noticed a pinkish brown discharge. I called he vet he said everything was fine and that her kittens should be here within the day. Well I stayed up all night last night thinking they were coming and still no kittens well it’s now late tonight and still no sign of kittens and her discharge has turned to more of a clear color and it’s all over her tail and bottom. Since tomorrow is Sunday and her vet isn’t open and no one is answering the emergency line at her vet I am very nervous. She doesn’t seem to be having contractions but she does to appear to have dropped ever so slightly. Is this normal or should I try and find an animal ER?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any kittens yet? I agree that it’s all normal sounding! :)

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sound okay to me too, but just to be sure, how is mom behaving? How is the discharge "smelling"? If it has a foul smell, you need to get to the vet. If it has not a very odd odor, and not a weird color (such as green, or unclear), it should be okay.

Keep an eye on her contractions. As long as she is behaving normally (though, she can be a little more restless if she is due soon), and she hasn't been in active labor, it should be okay to wait a little longer. If she starts having full on contractions and goes into active labor, for first moms, there should be a kitten 1,5 hours after she started.