pregnant cat, tight belly

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so I have a cat her belly is tight/hard and it's huge prob 5cm each side? Idk, she is restless and barely eating too milk leaking too is she gonna give birth soon

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so I have a cat her belly is tight/hard and it's huge prob 5cm each side? Idk, she is restless and barely eating too milk leaking too is she gonna give birth soon
Yes, it seems as contractions. If its Braxton Hicks contraction, or beginning of labor, is next question...

Has she "dropped" ie suddenly seems less pregnant? If not, its probably Braxton Hicks, and almost a week is left.
If she HAS dropped, its probably beginning of labor. Prelabor MAY be quite long, the active pushing phase is usually short.

Not all cats drop visibly, but if they do, its a good forewarning; about 2 days left.

During you wait, give her calciumrich drink / food, whatever you have at home and she eats. goats milk, mild youghurt, cheese, kmr...
Cant hurt, may help, because low calcium may cause weak labor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes she does seem a bit skinnier, I am feeding her milk, she was hiding in dark places just a hour ago

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes she does seem a bit skinnier, I am feeding her milk, she was hiding in dark places just a hour ago
Skinner - probably she has dropped. Prelabor may be quite long, even more than 24 hours, but its usually shorter.

The active pushing phase shall be much shorter. If its more than 1 hour, contact your vet asap, be prepared to rushing in.

The problem with hiding in dark places is you dont see what is really going on. Say, if she has a long pushing phase and you must step in.

I hope she is used to milk. Many cats dont manage the usual pasteurized cow milk.

Good luck!

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to convince my family to get her fixed, it was probably the other cat since both are strays found in a bag near the side of the road when they were 3-4 weeks max, she is used to milk they don't even drink water from when I rescued them but I'm gonna try to slowly introduce it

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Skinner - probably she has dropped. Prelabor may be quite long, even more than 24 hours, but its usually shorter.

The active pushing phase shall be much shorter. If its more than 1 hour, contact your vet asap, be prepared to rushing in.

The problem with hiding in dark places is you dont see what is really going on. Say, if she has a long pushing phase and you must step in.

I hope she is used to milk. Many cats dont manage the usual pasteurized cow milk.

Good luck!

update: just put her milk she is sleeping all day but she looked like she was panting (closing her eyes tight and opening them)

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is a picture of the cat btw

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update: she's eating grass, I tried to stop her but she goes back to it once I dissapear

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
update: she's eating grass, I tried to stop her but she goes back to it once I dissapear
Eating grass isnt dangerous, cats do so, in part it helps them to throw up their hair balls...

Some owners even give them grass to numble on, its typically young wheat (wheat is biologically a specie of grass)

But what it has to do with being high preg I dont know...

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_20240426_193228072.jpg
she still hasn't gave birth but I think her belly dropped also I'm not letting the black cat near her it's just the family gave them food in the same place -_-

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she and the black cat are good friends, you probably dont need to isolate them. Blackie may perhaps even co-parent.
But if she shows she prefer to be alone without blackie, or get stressed - do separate them.

ps. Is blacke a tom? Toms arent dangerous to kittens to a female they are friends with; but cats arent protected by nursing, so if you dont want to risk a new pregnancy immediately, do either separate them, or at least - neuter him. Observe he can get kittens at least 2 weeks after - theoretically even 6 weeks, but 2 weeks isnt unusual.

coolguycatyeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she and the black cat are good friends, you probably dont need to isolate them. Blackie may perhaps even co-parent.
But if she shows she prefer to be alone without blackie, or get stressed - do separate them.

ps. Is blacke a tom? Toms arent dangerous to kittens to a female they are friends with; but cats arent protected by nursing, so if you dont want to risk a new pregnancy immediately, do either separate them, or at least - neuter him. Observe he can get kittens at least 2 weeks after - theoretically even 6 weeks, but 2 weeks isnt unusual.
Not sure if he is a tom because I found them in a bag abandoned, and he doesn't attack her so it's fine