Pregnant Cat Taking Other Cat's Kittens

pepperpotts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Just got a quick question. My Norwegian forest cat had her babies this morning, 6!! Touch wood all doing well. Will keep a close eye in case she struggles with feeding 6 though, she's a first time mum.

Anyway I've taken on a pregnant stray a couple of weeks ago. Gorgeous fluffy tortie. Luckily she's all healthy apart from being neglected. Vet reckons she's due next week but she's absolutely huge and has taken 2 of my other cat's kittens into a nest she's made and was successfully feeding them until I gave them back to their mother.

Could this be a sign that her labour is very close? Obviously she's been through a lot and I don't want to leave her to birth alone so I'm now anxious to leave the house.

Thanks everyone.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk may come in early or very late. There are no sure timetable.

6 kittens you may need to rotate them.
Take weigh in grammes every day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi I don't have any valuable information to offer, but wanted to say that is so sweet and cute!! Hopefully, mom-to-be doesn't have 6 of her own - she may do the reverse - instead of stealing a couple, she'll be offering a couple to the existing mom! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting. I didn't know a pregnant cat could nurse kittens before delivery.
Yes, Its interesting to know, if she got milk early. Or the milk come earlier because she was nursed. OR even, if there was no real milk, and it was mostly comfort nursing...

So its another reason to weigh them daily, in the beginning perhaps even every 12 hours. To be sure what is comfort nursing, and what is real nursing for good..

A verry experienced caretaker can usually decide it by herself, by the looks and weigh in hands. Alike most good experienced cooks use just the eye measure. That is why some very experienced caretakers dont bother to weigh.
But for all the rest of us the weighting is a verry helpful even crucial tool.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is an isolated room you could keep your stray in I would do that. It's not likely there would be a problem since your own Cat had already let her approach and even take a couple of the Kittens, but the last thing you want is one suddenly feeling threatened by the other and them fighting over babies.