Pregnant Cat/new kitten questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Than
You should be able to get praziquantel and/or pyrantel pamoate without a vet prescription. Either will kill tapeworms, but be careful to give the correct dose, and a second dose 7-10 days later to cover the life cycle of the tapeworms.

Tapeworms come from ingesting a flea, so be sure to treat her with a topical flea treatment such as Advantage II for cats or Frontline for cats to deal with the fleas. Vacuum floors and wash bedding to kill flea eggs and larvae.
Thank you. I will look into that. And I will try to locate and phone a veterinarian too and take his/her suggestion. The kittens also might need to be treated.

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should be able to get praziquantel and/or pyrantel pamoate without a vet prescription. Either will kill tapeworms, but be careful to give the correct dose, and a second dose 7-10 days later to cover the life cycle of the tapeworms.

Tapeworms come from ingesting a flea, so be sure to treat her with a topical flea treatment such as Advantage II for cats or Frontline for cats to deal with the fleas. Vacuum floors and wash bedding to kill flea eggs and larvae.

Thanks! I consulted a doctor and she has been medicated.

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have allowed "free grazing" for my nursing cat (20 days kittens). Do we have an estimate of how much food is too much? How many grams of food according to body weight is good or healthy for nursing mothers (3 kittens)? I fear my cat might be eating a little too much. I want to have some control in this issue.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While the kittens are still nursing, she should get as much as she wants, preferably kitten food. Once they are weaned fully, then transition her back to her normal diet.

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While the kittens are still nursing, she should get as much as she wants, preferably kitten food. Once they are weaned fully, then transition her back to her normal diet.
Okay. Thanks for the response.