Pregnant cat massive change in behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravenmailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exactly ☺ oh my word, you hung in there with her and here's the payoff. You're fantastic!!
Thank you ☺. Hopefully she'll bounce all the way back when this is all passed and she can have her peace back.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've been thinking about you and the situation you've found yourself in, and I think it needs to be said that you are doing a rather incredible job of walking the line between a frustrated cat and everyone else. Your daughter won't realize it for some time of course, but you are providing her with a stellar example of treating a cat with as much respect as possible in a really difficult situation.

My hat is off to you in a very big way!! :vibes::heartshape::itslove:
Wise observation. I want to add, not just a stellar example of how to be a cat caretaker, but ALSO, how to be a Mom, and how to handle and copy with difficult family situations; balancing Cat, dau, hubby, other cat; and being in a rather small flat with limited resources... A handbok example. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear babies are here and healthy and mom seems relaxed.

Please do book a spay for 8 weeks from now and before letting her outside, or she’ll turn up pregnant again in no time flat.

Ravenmailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to hear babies are here and healthy and mom seems relaxed.

Please do book a spay for 8 weeks from now and before letting her outside, or she’ll turn up pregnant again in no time flat.

I don't let her out on purpose that's for sure she is an inside cat. But she got pregnant from my male inside. I had never owned a female cat before and I had no idea they spend months practically non stop in heat. Like God lol. But I have her on a wait list with our local rescue to get fixed in September.

Ravenmailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree, get your male neutered now.
It's a wait list issue to get them in somewhere I can afford there is nothing before September. I had a bunch of unexpected home and car repairs this summer along with my own second child coming in two weeks. So they have to wait. My fault for not Knowing more about cat heat cycles. But since she will still be with her kittens until September I'm going to leave the crate set up and I'm just going to lock her up or him so she can have time out when it starts back up since I know what It looks like when she goes into it now.... It seems like she should only go into heat one time before I can get her in so they'll be fine taking turns in a crate for a week. To prevent another pregnancy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good plan! Cats can go into heat within a week of giving birth. Mine went into heat at 7 weeks post-partum. Once heat cycles start up again, they are about every two weeks thereafter unless mating occurs to stop it. Hopefully yours will only have 1-2 heat cycles before her spay. Your male cat will be calmer after he is neutered as well.

Ravenmailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good plan! Cats can go into heat within a week of giving birth. Mine went into heat at 7 weeks post-partum. Once heat cycles start up again, they are about every two weeks thereafter unless mating occurs to stop it. Hopefully yours will only have 1-2 heat cycles before her spay. Your male cat will be calmer after he is neutered as well.

Hopefully she will go the 8 weeks that is supposed to be the normal. And if thats how it goes it'll only happen once before she goes in. I don't have an appointment set up for him yet. But he has a fantastic attitude and is loving,cuddly and not hyper and good with foster kittens. He's never sprayed or anything so I'm not sure about fixing him since they are the only two Cats ill have until they die and the problem will be solved with getting her fixed. I honestly don't want him to change at all he is one of the most amazing cats I've ever met. So he might not get fixed unless it actually becomes something that needs to be done. Since she will be fixed first either way. She is the first female cat I've ever owned and I messed up with her. but I've never had problems with unfixed males.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please get him fixed ASAP, even if she's fixed he'll attempt to mate with her which is painful and stressful. This shouldn't change his disposition, other than greatly reducing any desire he has to roam. It also would prevent pregnancy if any unforeseen situations come up where you have an intact female in the house. It may be easier to get an appointment for him earlier since the procedure for males is much less involved.