Pregnant Cat Issues

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
prego.JPG
Background -
I'm fostering a pregnant cat through a rescue. She was found outside a week ago but I think she must have been someone's pet because she is super friendly and obviously comfortable with humans. I brought her to the vet a week ago today. They determined via x-ray that she is pregnant with 3 kittens and was 45 days pregnant (making her 51 days today). I'm not sure that's accurate; she's enormous and I can see the kittens moving, but whatever. She'll have them when she's ready and there are nesting spots set up that she can access, though she for some reason prefers spending her time stretched out on an old towel in the middle of the floor. Because she's a cat and cats are jerks, but I love them anyway :)

Now to the question:
Does anyone have advice regarding a litter box that she can access while pregnant? She is obviously too big to judge at this point and she is having accidents. She gets really upset when she misses the litter box and I don't want her to feel bad or stressed. I have one without a lid for her now and basically she's hovering and missing - the poop is going over the side. She's pretty agile still despite her size, but does anyone have experience with a type of litter box that works for pregnant cats? I'm not sure she'll be able to get into one with a lid. I have old towels spread around the litter box now so that when she has an accident I can just clean up, but she is getting so upset about it - spending so much time trying to bury the scent and meowing to alert me. Also, she consistently has - well, poop balls attached to the back of her fur. I've been cleaning it up with wet warm rags. She can't reach to clean back there anymore.
Anyway, just reaching out to see if anyone has any experience and/or solutions with end of pregnancy poop issues. I assume this is normal? I really need to question the direction my life has taken considering I am on a public forum asking for advice on feline potty habits.
Thanks in advance!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, buy a larger open pan. Walmart has them.

You may want to put doggie pee pads around the outsides in the meantime for when she misses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, buy a larger open pan. Walmart has them.

You may want to put doggie pee pads around the outsides in the meantime for when she misses.
The doggie pads are a good idea for easy clean up. I cannot believe how much laundry I have been doing for this pregnant cat with all the towels! I bought two different litter boxes of varying sizes yesterday and she is still choosing to use her original one that is clearly too small for her. Hopefully only another week or two of this until these kitties are born.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree! Transfer her old litter into the new box so she recognizes her own scent. Put the box in the same place too. Take away the old box. She should adjust quickly, hopefully! :)

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster prego is due any day now and I saw her looking for hiding spots this morning, so I think we're in the home stretch. I was just wondering for others that have done this, how long is it safe to leave the kitten in the sack with the cord attached before human intervention is necessary? I don't want to have to interfere at all - hopefully momma will do what she is supposed to do. The vet says we're only having three kittens, so hopefully she will have no problem getting to all of them easily.

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Four kittens were born about three hours ago. All looks good except in the past half hour mom is panting off and on. She's eating a ton, babies are nursing, but she's panting a lot. Is this normal? She stops panting when I pet her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. Please give her a daily dish of kitten formula to drink. The calcium will help with the panting. She has just worked very hard.

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I was getting worried. She seems totally fine otherwise. I have formula here, will give her a bowl now.

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. Please give her a daily dish of kitten formula to drink. The calcium will help with the panting. She has just worked very hard.
Amazing, the formula stopped the panting almost immediately. Thank you so much!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! It means she needed the calcium. Calcium deficiency can cause seizures. So glad you had formula on hand.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
They are so cute, good luck & keep posting pics.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful! The vet must have missed one on the xray! How is everyone doing?

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One week old tomorrow and all seems to be going well! She’s a great mommy! I’m keeping a weight log which I have attached (it’s in ounces). I’m a little concerned about Stephen on the far right. He was the largest at birth but doesn’t seem to be gaining as quickly as the rest. Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing at all to worry over - weights are terrific for one week old! :)
Thank you :) I swear I’m more worried about these kittens than I was about my human son when he was newborn lol.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the names you picked, by the way. Very seasonally appropriate.