Pregnant Cat Has Adopted Me!

Hayleym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8D9F874E-9277-49C7-993D-6F96095252A5.jpeg
1511007B-4A81-4D7B-9700-70D104907D66.jpeg
Hey cat lovers...

Ok, so on the 17th October a young cat started rocking up at my back door daily. As the weeks have gone on I have let her come in as and when she pleases. She’s a very young looking cat but I’ve never owned a cat before so a bit clueless. However, one thing for sure is that she is indeed expecting.

So, she’s got a large belly, has cleared the hair around her nipples (you can tell I’ve googled is my cat pregnant!) and her appetite is insane! Now I now the 9th week is around the time she’ll deliver, but obviously I have no idea when the 9th week is!

I had no intention of getting a cat as I have 2 kids and 2 dogs but apparently cats choose their owners and I’m the chosen one. But she is a beautiful cat and I have very strong feelings for her now and she always has a home with me.

I’ve made a birthing box for her tonight, which may I add I am pretty impressed with! But I desperately need some guidance and advice on firstly having a cat in general and secondly having a pregnant cat. When should I expect labour, is there a way I can guesstimate gestation, do I need to help her deliver and if so what do I need and need to do. Basically I need a pregnant cat and beyond guide for dummy’s!

Thanks in advance, Hayley!

P.s I’ve added a photo of Molly and a pic of birthing box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is very pretty and sweet looking! Thank you for taking her in.

The box looks great, but move the litter outside of it but close by. You don't want her having her kittens in the litter.

Then, after she's had them, you can put her food and water in that area of the box as she'll not want to leave her kittens.

Is the box on a sofa? You'll also want to put her box in a private place where dogs and children cannot go for a few weeks. Perhaps a closet?

We can't know when she'll deliver, since we don't know when she mated, but the general rule is that kittens come 2-3 weeks after you can see and feel kitten movement in her belly. Most cats deliver slightly into the tenth week - by about 65-68 days.

Here are some helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Your cat is probably less than a year old. Begin keeping her inside 100% of the time as you don't want her having her kittens outside.

Most cats manage fine with little to no assistance, but best to be prepared.

Also, do not let her outside after she has the kittens until after she is spayed. Cats can get pregnant again as soon as a week after giving birth.

Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hayleym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2,

Good point regarding the litter tray! It has now been removed. I think I’ll pop the box in the spare room and pop a baby gate on the door so she has full access to come and go.

Ok, I noticed the kittens moving about a week ago so potentially next week onwards for the big event.

I was speaking to Cat protection today, they have said because I’ve taken her in we should qualify for free neutering, which I’m pleased about as I’m currently on unpaid maternity leave so the pennies don’t stretch very far. So as soon as the little ones are here I’ll get her booked in.

I will definitely keep you up to date and post any further questions that arise.

Hayleym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*update*

The cats owner had put a post on Facebook and came to collect her. She lives a few hundred yards away! Her due date was at the weekend so the kittens can come anytime. The owner has said she will keep me up to date. I’m a little sad that she’s not my cat now haha. Been offered first pick of the kittens though, very tempted.

Hayley xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! Can you share the links with her and urge her to join us here, as well as have the cat spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old?

Also, is she keeping her 100% inside now?

Hayleym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s always had cats and has dealt with pregnant cats and kittens. Her other 2 cats are both neutered but little kitty unfortunately got caught out before being spayed as she is still young. It was her first season. She is keeping her indoors all the time now and puts her in another room before opening the front door xx

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Now nice ! The kitty now has two humans to look after her . :yess::redcat:
I have several cats that look just like that . I hope you do adopt a kitten.
Best wishes to you ...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please encourage her to get any spayed and neutered by 3-4 months to prevent additional litters.

Thanks for caring!

Hayleym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3966226E-04A7-4A13-9AB7-E5D88FD85302.jpeg
Hey everyone, so Kitty became a proud mama to 5 beautiful kittens today. I was receiving updates throughout the day which was lovely! Here is a little pic for you.

The owner has confirmed she will be in for her little op as soon as the kittens are gone in 8/9 weeks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens need to stay with mom at least 10-12 weeks. Mom can still be spayed at 8 weeks though.