Pregnant Cat, First Time, Need Some Advice!

Sophie121212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
firstly I want to make it clear that we never ever intended for our female cat to get pregnant, we was told she had be neutered when we adopted her, unfortunately this turned out to be incorrect.

So our lovely Queen Ellie is pretty heavily pregnant now, however as much research I have done into getting a good idea when labor will happen I am still unsure. She has had milk on her nipples for about a week now, it appears dry and white on the tip. I have also been able to feel the babies moving around for about two weeks.

Sometimes she appears to show signs of labor, but then I think I'm going mad because nothing happens! Her back legs seem to be twitching a lot, she's is also rolling around more and has become a lot more affectionate?

I am now trying to keep her in one room as we have two other cats and I was the Queen to be able to rest, she has a bed, water and food and a heater and I check on her regularly and give her attention.

My first question is , is there anything I can check that I'm missing because for the past week I've thought everyday she will give birth but then doesn't?

I have noticed that the past 2/3 days her shape has changed and her belly is much harder but I can still feel the babies moving:)

Also, before I put her into her own room a few days ago I caught my male cat trying to mate with her? Obviously I immediately separated them, I read that this may be because of pre labor scent??

I hope someone can help!:)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, if your male cat is not neutered, he needs to be.

Next, everything you have detailed is exactly what occurs in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy.

You will also usually begin to see discharge, and contractions that look like ripples in her tummy once labor begins.

Here are helpful links:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Since your cat has her milk in, and her belly has dropped, she is very close to labor snd delivery.

:)

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was a little grumpy for two days before birth.. She had a nest in a closet but she ended up having them on my bed.. She wanted to be near me I guess lol ... The morning before birth she had discharge ..

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it can be any day now! I would definitely get your other cat neutered and keep him away from her until she is spayed! She can get pregnant one week after delivering, and he will remain fertile for several weeks after his neuter! Plus momma cats usually don't like other animals around their kittens.
You might notice some diarrhea the morning before she delivers and she might not eat as much. Just a couple of signs that may or may not happen!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophie121212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, my Queen Ellie went into labor today and gave birth to 3 healthy kittens all an hour apart. However the 4th kitten was born and was not fully developed, had no fur, and was brown, the kitten was also surrounded by a flesh looking thing? It's very sad, but I just was wondering if anyone knows what has happened here? If it's preventable? And what steps I should take now?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is nothing you can do or could have done. This was likely caused by a genetic or chromosomal defect that caused the fetus to stop developing at a certain point. It just happens sometimes.

Congratulations on the 3 healthy kittens!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it happens. There was nothing you could do. Only thing now is to dispose of the fetus and focus on the 3 healthy kittens.
I would take the whole thing to a vet and see what he says.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , what is that brown 'pita pocket' the baby is in? I've never seen that even in a horse.

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it happens. There was nothing you could do. Only thing now is to dispose of the fetus and focus on the 3 healthy kittens.
I would take the whole thing to a vet and see what he says.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , what is that brown 'pita pocket' the baby is in? I've never seen that even in a horse.
I'd like to NO what this is also?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I believe it is part of the uterine lining that was supporting this kitten.