Pregnant Cat Fighting Fleas!!

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me start off with this. I habe two cats both females i rescued my now pregnant cat from a okay home. When i got her she was skinny flea ridden and kind of skittish. Well ive tried all kinds of flea meds and collars nothing is helping! I have been wanting to get her fixed but ive been waiting on her to fatten up! Ive wormed her bc she had worm and ive been treating both for fleas! Well she keep getting out and now is pregnant. I plan on getting her fixed as soon as kittens are weaned! In the mean time what is a good flea medicine! Also how can i tell how far she is! Temp was 100.5 today she is starting to milk up i can feel and if i watcj close see babies.

Attachments

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your best bet is to bring her in for a vet visit they can can give you the best options for her (and to make sure she is okay, Flees+ pregnancy is a mixture for trouble, including infections!)

Talk to your vet and see what you can/cannot use.
Try also flea combing her in the meantime!
Fleas on newborn kittens can spell death if they are very bad infestation
the fleas suck the kittens blood and cause anemia , this can happen in a very short time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Thankfully its not bad as of now but i got one off her last night. Ive given not sure if i mentioned before flea meds before amd washed her probably before she was pregnant and after before i knew. I also wormed her. Ill get the flea comb and do that until the vet opens monday just wish the money i spent on the worked i flea bombed the house gave them the pill and meds and now collars stubborn fleas!! Next step to figure out when she is do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not use a flea collar on her. The collars contain ingredients that can be toxic to kittens.

Have you used Advantage II on her neck?

You might want to buy a can of Enforcer flea house spray. It kills larvae and prevents flea eggs from hatching.

Also wash all bedding in hot water to kill eggs and larvae.

Do not let her outside at all anymore until she is spayed.

It sounds like she will be having kittens within a few days if her milk is coming in.

Have you made a nest in a private area for her?

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive never intentionally let her out she is a hoodinie and figured out how to jump and open the. Door to the porch and also ran out when i opened the door to go out. She is fast! I googled frontline and im about to go out soon to purchase it. Didnt think the flea collar would be bad for babies glad i mentioned it! Ill take it off right now!!
Yes i have a box set up with a nice towel for her in an area thats kind of private

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All places are out of. Front line is pet armor advanced good.

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg im a grandma! I come home to find her woth so far one! I was right on with who i though dad was!!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should order Advantage II online. Make sure to keep combing mom. It’s very serious if kittens get fleas.

How many kittens are there now?

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im a proud grandma lol now after the kittens are born whem i know they are all born can i add the flea meds. I called and they said its safe for queens nursing and pregnant

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can put flea medicine on the back of mom's neck.

How many kittens are there now? Are they nursing well?

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just two kittens seem to be nursing well. I do have a bulky one and long skinny one whos smaller then the first. He seems to nurse well but i am keeping an eye on him and got supplemental formula just incase

Bellacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are only 24hrs old. I monotered them throughout the day everyones doing great now :) no i am not weighing but i am keeping an eye on them and consulted a vet :) he helped me.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will want to weigh them daily to make sure they are well. A small kitchen scale will do. Even experienced rescuers use them.