Pregnant Cat Decreasing in Size

florit0275

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ummm yeah I am extremely confused here.

Over the weekend i went to 6 flags with my friends and I came back and she has lost weight... there are NO and i mean NO kittens anywhere in her room, she has no noticable milk, her nests are obviously empty since there are no kittens, she is thinner (but still kind of big) and her nipples are big and she eats like a cow so by that standpoint she should be pregnant, right?

She's overly friendly blah blah like all of my other posts.

Man i don't understand why every time something is supposed to happen by the book my situation is 30x different lol.

Example, i spent 13,000 in the last 3 years making my 6,800$ Ford Explorer run!!

Any ideas? False pregnancy?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A visit to the vet is definitely in order. Anything is possible and you need to make sure everything is okay. What you described is definitely not normal.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i disagree, the same thing happened to me. my cat looked thinner and i couldnt find kittens any where.

in a panic i rang the vet and she told me the kittens had probably dropped into the birthing canal, hence her looking smaller.

the kitten (just the one) was born either the next day or the day after.

but i do agree you should ring a vet asap just to be safe.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH

hey keep me posted ok...cuz my pregnant cat is almost due and I would like to know....hope u do well
the most useful thing you can do right now is read, read, read!

read every cat pregnancy article you can get your hands on and search the forums too. by the time the kittens come you should aim to be a kitten birthing expert!

i'm saying this because there are so many things that can go wrong if you dont know what to be looking out for (not to be snarky
).

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by florit0275

Ummm yeah I am extremely confused here.

Over the weekend i went to 6 flags with my friends and I came back and she has lost weight... there are NO and i mean NO kittens anywhere in her room, she has no noticable milk, her nests are obviously empty since there are no kittens, she is thinner (but still kind of big) and her nipples are big and she eats like a cow so by that standpoint she should be pregnant, right?

She's overly friendly blah blah like all of my other posts.

Man i don't understand why every time something is supposed to happen by the book my situation is 30x different lol.

Example, i spent 13,000 in the last 3 years making my 6,800$ Ford Explorer run!!

Any ideas? False pregnancy?
I second the recommendation for a vet visit. We have had cats in our rescue who we "thought" were pregnant..they showed all the signs..but when the time came....no babies. If the cat isn't pregnant...you can have her spayed and if you still want to experience having babies...you can foster for a rescue organization. Lots of organizations need help with pregnant cats.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

florit0275

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how common is it for cats to have false pregnancys?

also i felt her stomach and i can feel stuff barely moving in there.... but then again could that be her insides right? I'll compare it to my male cats

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

also i felt her stomach and i can feel stuff barely moving in there.... but then again could that be her insides right? I'll compare it to my male cats
not so common as cats are prolific breeders and its very easy for them to ger pregnant.

i really think you need to take her to or at least consult a vet if you are not even sure if she is pregnat as it could be a whole manner of other ailments.

no-one can tell you over the boards what is wrong, we can only give you shot in the dark advice. you need the advice of a professional.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Honestly, I second the recommendation to take her to the vet. They will be able to look her over and tell you whether she was or is or isn't pregnant. Additionally, if she isn't pregnant, it would be very beneficial to have her spayed.

Katie

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If she's that far along you should be able to see those babies move from across the room. If you feel them there should be kicks that are easy to tell that they are kittens. Maybe your cat is just fat? Or maybe she was just pregnant with one and she had it and it was a stillborn and she disposed of it? Sometimes cats eat young if they are born dead to keep predators away.
Were the kittens moving a lot before but now hardly at all? That could mean she's having trouble.

florit0275

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel them kicking still, i compared it to the tummy of my male cats and theres definately stuff int here... she's increasing in size again, I noticed she hadn't eaten much while I was gone, perhaps she was upset? She is eating like a pig now and bigger. She is eating more than my 3 cats combined. As for being fat other than the uterus her body is thin and bony.

As for seeing the kittens she is a longer-haired cat. She isn't persian length but she's most definately not a shorthair. I can't see them move too much but I can feel them.

I did consult a vet and he asked whether she had eaten while I was gone and asked how her hernia was. Everything is fine and he said unless the problem persists to leave her alone as she will likely go into labor soon. The vet already had told me that it is "Very Likely That She is Pregnant" 2 weeks ago.

With all that being said, wish me luck guys.

florit0275

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: 10 seconds after sending my last post I pinched her nipples for milk and 2 of them are producing small amounts of milk.

florit0275

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
small amounts of milk is normal right? It shouldnt' be gushing out?

Also, at what point do the breasts fill completely and appear full?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

small amounts of milk is normal right? It shouldnt' be gushing out?

Also, at what point do the breasts fill completely and appear full?
Yeah it should be very hard to get even a tiny amount out. She will appear full after she has the kittens-at least that's been my experiance

florit0275

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys... BTW i went to your site about bengals... amazing looking cats!! absolutely beautiful.

Wish me luck with preggers here