Pregnant cat barely eating / the birth and kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I accidentally left the door open between the kittens and their father and he entered on them, i was in the kitchen for about 10 minutes and heard a weird noise so I checked on them. they seemed fine and i thought the sound came from the lights or something electrical (it was that weird of a sound) their father seemed harmless but just incase i decided to pick him up and took him away, he hissed at me but i assumed he was just bothered by the sudden movement, i went back to the kitten room to put them all back into their playpen, i was about to pick one of the male kittens up when he silent hissed at me only to be followed by a weird noise which i am assuming was meant to be a growl? it was loud and unnatural could the father have hurt him? there are no wounds or cuts and amber (their mother) seems okay with the father being near her kittens.
He now knows about the kittens and runs into the room (often unnoticed) whenever we open the door.
Is it okay to let him stay with the kittens (supervised)? He watches them at a distance and makes that greeting meow (like that cat on instagram with its famous meow?) when he walks up to them. he hisses only when i attempt to pick him up or guide him to the door.
Amber meows back at him but other than that she ignores him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it best that he not be in the room with the kittens until they are older.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Kittens are huge, most of them have big limbs and I wonder how (both parents are small cats)
They all opened their eyes and respond to movement, theyre beginning to groom and nibble one another too. They also meow back whenever i talk to them
This is how I noticed that one of them has a very very quiet meow, he opens him mouth but no sound comes out, and very rarely I hear his tiny meow. Is this okay?
Kittens are 6 weeks old, the one that wouldnt meow has a raspy meow. Vet didnt say much at their last checkup (last week) however he may have not noticed. Why would he have a raspy meow? (not a sudden change - smallest of the litter)

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have 5 kittens. 1 of them is frequently itching near his ears, why would that be? The others occasionally itch but it seems to be a normal amount of itching. Could it be fleas, mites, a food intolerance, or something else? They seem clean, their mother has mild feline acne that is steadily decreasing. They are stricly indoors, there are plants in my house (non-toxic) and they havent been in contact with any other cats that dont belong to me.
-
My kittens are about 1.5 months old, can I trim their claws?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can trim the tips of their claws. You can also apply Advantage II for Kittens to the backs of their necks for flea prevention, and I would have a vet apply meds for ear mites.