pregnant cat and baby

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My pregnant cat is always going around my 10 month old baby...should I worry about the baby hurting the cat ot the cat hurting the baby?

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pregnancy weakens the immune system and animals that are pregnant and harbouring any parasites will begin to shed eggs. Babies, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems are at risk for zoonotic infection (infections that both people and animals can get). I would keep the cat and baby separate for the time being to keep your baby healthy. Do not, however, get rid of your cat
, the risk is not that great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for ur response dolittle... I found the cat a few weeks ago and she was already pregnant that she would attack the baby or something...

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH

Thankyou for ur response dolittle... I found the cat a few weeks ago and she was already pregnant that she would attack the baby or something...
Just be very careful if you don't know the cat that well she might get agressive after she has the kittens. I took in a stray one time and she was great for a few days then after that she tried to attack me and bite my head off like the devil got into her. She left a scar on my arm.

kittypurr25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too took in an outside pregnant cat and as mentioned before it is best to keep baby away for several reasons....make sure momma has her own place in the house....if possible a room to herself with all her essentials would be best....or a large kennel....she will need her security when her babies arrive as well..............i was sooooooooo glad i kept mine in the office because she had given her babies ring worm and i have a two yr old daughter so she keeps away from that room....they are all being treated now ..... also...my cat is very very very scared and will attack...but when pregnant they change to a sweet loving cat.....but as soon as her babies arrived she was back to herself again...so beware but understand it will take time...i went in the room every day and now the babies are four wks old and momma loves me more than ever...she knows i wouldnt hurt her or the babies....but make sure u wash your hands before and after handling both momma and kittens so you do not bring about anything especially with your baby around........hope this helps and let us know when they arrive!!!!!!!!!

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes that will help alot...She does have her own privacy in my bedroom.The door is always closed now.She is such a sweet cat I can't imagine her being mean or anything,but I don't know her when she isn't pregnant..

Thanks again

kittypurr25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats good....

it is such a wonderful experience when the babies arrive....i missed the birth but i enjoyed everyday after.....they are like having human babies that grow much faster....my kittens are now 4 wks and its like they are little two yr olds ha ha ....getting into everything and climbing my legs haha

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man I can't wait.....I know I am going to like the idea about having little kittens run around....Just can't wait...