Pregnancy help/Weaning & Litter training questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are adorable!

Mom should be fine on the Royal Canin milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed they are 🥰
Okay great, thanks. She loves the current stuff, laps it up as soon as it’s down so I hope she’s the same with this next one.

I also wondered if wood pellets for cat litter is suitable for the babies? It’s what mum uses and once wet it degrades down, but I would assume it’s safe even if eaten as it just goes to flakes. I have set up a pen around the nesting box now also as they are starting to explore and I didn’t want them to get into anywhere they shouldn’t. I have laid extra blankets around the area and litter box, cat tree and toys etc but I was going to add a heat pad to the area too in case one gets stuck outside the box, or would she make sure it’s not alone/it will find it’s way into the nest box?
I have cut away the entrance of the nest box as they were climbing out of it and either getting stuck over it or I was worried they may fall out then not be able to get back in, this way it’s easy access either way

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should really use non-clumping clay litter until the kittens are older. The wood pellets do not sound suitable.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my queen’s kittens are 4 weeks old today. I wondered if it’s a good time to start offering a dish of formula to them and whether this would stop them from feeding from mum completely, therefore only relying on that which of course isn’t as good as mum’s milk! I also recently ran out of the Pet Ag KMR that I was feeding my Queen and the other formula I have to hand (Royal Canin baby cat milk) only seems to suggest it’s for feeding the kittens and says nothing about feeding to lactating queens. Could I feed her this and just portion out as much as I was previously giving of the other? Would this be harmful if not stated for lactating queens?

Regarding litter training, I have a kitten tray ready and don’t want to delay on getting them trained but I wanted to use wood pellets and didn’t know if this was unsafe. I’m conflicted because I’ve read some people use it (through online and in a thread that was previously on here) and others don’t recommend it. It’s one bought in Pets at home so is regulated for pets, and I’m just concerned about using clay litter for not only swapping the kittens over to it at a later date (we plan on keeping at least one kitten) but also because my queen is sometimes a bit picky with litter so I’m not sure she’ll use it and it won’t encourage the kittens. She loves the wood pellets and since they dissolve when wet surely this would be safe for the kittens? Anyway, I’ve attached a photo below of the litter itself, I’d appreciate people’s views on whether this would be okay to use or whether I need to purchase some more and try to swap out later.

Thanks in advance! :)
image.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Royal Canin is good for mom and kittens both. No worries there. You can try putting a dish out for the kittens to lap, but they may not be ready for another couple of weeks. Four weeks is on the young side, especially when they have mom. What’s the rush?

On the other hand, I mentioned before that I do not think wood pellets are suitable, even though they “dissolve”, because the kittens may ingest them, and also because it’s wood, and kittens do not need wood in their digestive tracts. I believe firmly that non-clumping clay litter is the best for young kittens until they are older. It does not clump and will not cause problems if they ingest a tiny amount.

Most cats and kittens will adapt to other litters when older without much problem. Is there a reason why you are resisting non-clumping clay litter?

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Royal Canin is good for mom and kittens both. No worries there. You can try putting a dish out for the kittens to lap, but they may not be ready for another couple of weeks. Four weeks is on the young side, especially when they have mom. What’s the rush?

On the other hand, I mentioned before that I do not think wood pellets are suitable, even though they “dissolve”, because the kittens may ingest them, and also because it’s wood, and kittens do not need wood in their digestive tracts. I believe firmly that non-clumping clay litter is the best for young kittens until they are older. It does not clump and will not cause problems if they ingest a tiny amount.

Most cats and kittens will adapt to other litters when older without much problem. Is there a reason why you are resisting non-clumping clay litter?
Oh great, thanks! No real rush, I’m just a bit worried that they’re not feeding as much as they used to. I know as they age they’ll eat less frequently but they seem to be okay spending a lot more time away from mum now and she isn’t as bothered spending time from them either. During the day I’ll only see them feed once or twice, so I’m assuming she feeds them through the night also but as I don’t see it I worry they’re not getting enough. Mum isn’t eating as much as before as well which makes me worry if she’s producing enough. I don’t plan on putting them on meat or biscuits yet, just thought the formula may help mum out too.

Not resisting but I don’t think mum will use it and will this affect the kittens using it? If you don’t think they’ll have a problem using it regardless of mum then I’ll grab some kitten litter from my local pet shop as soon as I can. We’ve always had non clumping in the house but fairly recently switched from that to the pellets because mum started not using it/disliking it out of nowhere and our other cat would spread it a mile. Since having the wood pellets both cats happily use and it doesn’t go everywhere was all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use the non-clumping litter for the kittens in a kitten-sized box.Never mind mom. Keep her the same.

You’ll want to begin introducing mush to the kittens soon on a flat plate. Mush is pate style kitten food made ultra mushy with kitten formula - like a glop. Kittens will often go for this first.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have been using the kitten litter a few days and they have got the hang of it very well, no accidents so far and seen them all use it. Mum still tries to clean them up if she can keep them still :lol:

I tried giving them some formula in a dish but they didn’t seem too interested initially, two of them licked some from my fingers and a spoon yesterday (with some nibbling of the spoon and my finger!) and one gave licking the edge of the dish a go. I’ll try them on some formula and kitten food mushed together later today.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Use the non-clumping litter for the kittens in a kitten-sized box.Never mind mom. Keep her the same.

You’ll want to begin introducing mush to the kittens soon on a flat plate. Mush is pate style kitten food made ultra mushy with kitten formula - like a glop. Kittens will often go for this first.
on another note, the little blue and white which I originally thought (and still think) was a little boy, has a cream patch on his leg I noticed. Which would then make him blue, white and cream so a dilute calico, which I know isn’t impossible for a boy but very unheard of and it is only a small amount on his leg as far as I can see. I’ll attach a picture of the leg and genitals so you can have a look

3F574B06-EF12-4A6D-A8D7-205CA29A2F9B.jpeg

F0CF5F6F-E5F5-4F3C-9957-8823724EDF80.jpeg
28B6CD3F-5ECB-46D5-92D5-F9D9E1390495.jpeg

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you think Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ? It’s hard to photograph the cream but it’s definitely cream and not a lighter grey
64B63B1B-3E6F-4984-81EA-1A5A55D3FF4A.jpeg
60F108EE-4396-41AF-9309-B95E29ED34A2.jpeg

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Small concern, I have yet to see any poop in the litter box. All three kittens use the litter box daily, and no accidents or aversions, I have seen them all use it at least twice throughout the day every day but I never see them poop, it’s always only wee. Sometimes I catch mum cleaning one so is it just that she’s still stimulating them to poop? It just seems bizarre I’ve yet to find one in the box.
All are feeding fine from mum (and one loves the gruel), playful, active and enjoying cuddles etc

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It probably means that mom is still taking care of licking up their poop. This will not last long. As soon as they are pooping in a litter box on their own, which should be soon, mom will stop licking up their baby poop, if one is lagging behind. It iis of no censequence. The baby will catch up soon - in a week or two.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It probably means that mom is still taking care of licking up their poop. This will not last long. As soon as they are pooping in a litter box on their own, which should be soon, mom will stop licking up their baby poop, if one is lagging behind. It iis of no censequence. The baby will catch up soon - in a week or two.
Thought I’d replied to this sorry, was good to know. All the kittens now pooping in the litter box so no worries there :)
They are 6 weeks tomorrow and In the last two days the biggest one has worked out jumping to the top of the pen and pulling herself up and over! I’m not sure if they’re too young to let loose in my bedroom, I’m going to kitten proof my room, but I’m worried since she can jump up to the top of the pen and hook her feet that she’ll be able to get on the bed and then I’ll squish her and same if the others catch on :confused2: should I worry about that or do you think they’d be okay to be loose? She’s already letting herself out and going around the room when I’m working, but I don’t know if I should get a fabric pen with one of those zip tops

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six-week-old kittens need to explore, so let them into your whole room. They need toy mice and balls to play with also. Yes, they will get on your bed. Highly unlikely you will squish them, but be careful.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Six-week-old kittens need to explore, so let them into your whole room. They need toy mice and balls to play with also. Yes, they will get on your bed. Highly unlikely you will squish them, but be careful.
I had let them out to explore with me supervising on some occasions, probably why she’s so eager to get out, but I hadn’t given them the free roam yet, I shall let them loose tonight!
Oh they have plenty of all that, hanging toys, fluffy toys, bouncy toys, balls, vibrating mice, small mice, squeaky toys, crinkly toys,rattle toys, feather toys, bell toys, anything you can think of they’ve got it haha. Thought I’d go all out as want to get them used to most sounds whilst keeping them occupied and happy:)

I figured they will squeak if I was to squish one, but I’m most worried about when I’m asleep as I can be a heavy sleeper at times. Would it be good to start with all day play around the room and then just into the pen at bedtime?

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On a twist of worrying I’ll squish them, I do want them to be accustomed to sleeping in the bed as I’d love them to. Their mother sleeps right next to me on a pillow or under the duvet in the winter

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Hey again, long time no speak. All getting on so well! The babies are 8 weeks old now, how time has flown by!

I was wondering when/if I stop weighing now? Advice online says you should still keep track of your kittens weights well into adulthood! But obviously most people adopting or buying a kitten at 8 weeks + don’t generally weigh them daily, or at least not to my experience.

A few catch up pictures!
61A8247A-1B28-4A88-BB0D-228FB25260E1.jpeg
1B972E8F-CC3E-4FD1-AF1E-4A569E4BF4CB.jpeg
944A8295-D8E9-4430-8A76-656EE6F77022.jpeg
ABE9BD47-DC67-4107-B7A3-31D81AFB58EF.jpeg
41CE658D-02D3-4570-8605-8694F9EC513C.jpeg
BDD16D1D-7674-4AF9-BE72-7B0968742430.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to continue weighing. They are absolutely beautiful kittens!